My Mini Split Install

3 minutes ago, mat60 said:

No.. I guess its fine but I just feel a lot better running the wires to the breaker while its out. There is another reason but Id rather not say.

No worries I actually do it that way myself primarily because it think it's easier was just curious on the safety aspect.

5 hours ago, mat60 said:

No.. I guess its fine but I just feel a lot better running the wires to the breaker while its out. There is another reason but Id rather not say.

I had the breaker at the main panel off and this panel was off.  Were you referring to just holding the breaker in my hands and inserting the wires and then putting it in the slot?  If so, it never really crossed my mind.  Never seen anyone do it like before.

What's the other reason you'd rather not say and why would you rather not say it?  

1 minute ago, TheAverageCraftsman said:

Were you referring to just holding the breaker in my hands and inserting the wires and then putting it in the slot?  If so, it never really crossed my mind.  Never seen anyone do it like before.

Yes I was but nothing wrong with the way you and do it .  I don't mind installing the ground and neutral  wire on the bars off to the sides in the box but for some reason it just seems more comfortable to me to wire the breaker before I install it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I like to have two hands on the screwdriver while I'm tightening the lug.  I used to have an Inspector that carried screwdrivers in his pocket, and would check every screw to see how tight it was.  I didn't want him to be able to help me tighten a screw anywhere.

I have no problem and don't need two hands on a screwdriver to get the lug tight.. Id break the breaker if I did that with two hands. :)

• Like 1

I can feel the torque calibration in my wrists better with both hands, and the breaker fixed:).   I don't want to overtorque them, but that Inspector carried the proper sized SnapOn screwdrivers, and used both hands.  He liked it when I handed him a SnapOn 1/4" breaker bar with short extension, and Hex socket to check the main lugs with.  I don't know if he started carrying one of those or not.  He never bothered to check behind me again.

59 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I can feel the torque calibration in my wrists better with both hands, and the breaker fixed:).   I don't want to overtorque them, but that Inspector carried the proper sized SnapOn screwdrivers, and used both hands.  He liked it when I handed him a SnapOn 1/4" breaker bar with short extension, and Hex socket to check the main lugs with.  I don't know if he started carrying one of those or not.  He never bothered to check behind me again.

My dad wired massive panels in substations for a living. When he shows up to do work on anything electrical for me the tools he brings are by far the most interesting part. I don't even know how to describe them but the one that interested me the most was a flat head screw driver that held screws with out magnetism.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

My dad wired massive panels in substations for a living. When he shows up to do work on anything electrical for me the tools he brings are by far the most interesting part. I don't even know how to describe them but the one that interested me the most was a flat head screw driver that held screws with out magnetism.

I have some of those.   They make them for Phillips too.   Klein also makes ones for the weird shaped slots too (forget what they are called), and it was a good day when they started making those.  Otherwise, neither a straight, or Phillips fits.

Klein makes several different variations.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/screw-holding/2-phillips-screw-holding-screwdriver

The only time I can think of, when it's really nice to have one, is putting a ground wire pigtail in that has to be screwed into the back of a metal outlet box.  The screw is short, and it's a real aggravating balancing act with small pieces otherwise.  The screw holding screwdriver holds the whole little assembly, and makes it an easy, one handed job.