DJ20 jointer on CL

Jfitz

A DJ20 popped up on CL nearby - pretty much on the route I take to work every day.  $800, but it's CL so I can always make an offer.  I'm thinking get it and then at some point upgrade to a shelix (maybe) and for ~1K have a good parallelogram 8" jointer.  

Any suggestions on what to look for?  Knives can be sharpened but I'll bring some wood to make a test run....and a straightedge to check out the tables.  I'd like having a parallelogram system for ease of adjustment...

1 minute ago, Tom King said:

My kind of jointer.  I'd buy it if it checks out.

ugh.  my thoughts too.  Maybe I should have you discuss the merits with my wife ;) (just kidding...she's so supportive of my hobby it borders on the ridiculous...)

I guess I'm torn about going from a 6" to an 8" (parallelogram) or looking at the long haul and saving for a 12"...

1 minute ago, Jfitz said:

ugh.  my thoughts too.  Maybe I should have you discuss the merits with my wife ;) (just kidding...she's so supportive of my hobby it borders on the ridiculous...)

I guess I'm torn about going from a 6" to an 8" (parallelogram) or looking at the long haul and saving for a 12"...

I went from 6 to 8 absolutely love it!

I have that jointer.  I did a similar thing, going from a 6 inch to a 8 inch.  

A 12 inch would be nice indeed, but what’s your planer width?  2x 8 inch boards is 16 which is already wider than my 13 inch  lunchbox planer.  

I’d did the 8 inch, and will be upgrading my planer to the segmented cutterhead next...

good luck and let us know what you did!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jfitz said:

Sounds like you could easily sell this jointer should the day come when you decide to go for 12".