White wenge?

Just Bob

I was at Windsor Plywood in Bellingham WA today and they had this on display.  Advertised as White Wenge Their sign even said "we have never heard of it either".  I have searched the net, and all of the wood databases I know and can find no reference to White or Blond Wenge.   The stuff is comparable to wenge in weight and at least is feels equally dense.  But I don't know what it is.  I do have a project in mind, so I bought a stick of each, just wondering if anyone has a clue what it might be. 

End grain

DSC_0622.JPG.c286390003dd9140260624882ce796d5.JPG

Side grain

DSC_0624.JPG.65878a3c1217d7cc4071c6a443b712de.JPG

Face grain

DSC_0626.JPG.7cf6ccb0313d681b7dd99ece68a6825a.JPG

Side by side

DSC_0627.JPG.77e13d78be35703ced01bd43ed14c2b6.JPG

Receipt

DSC_0628-001.JPG.f6138f04b33be9f2a9920716eaeaf237.JPG 

It pretty no matter what.

While the face pictures they show don't look exactly the same that end grain is definitely a match. Did you read that it isn't exceptionally dimensionally stable ? So plan to deal with wood movement. Plus flatsawn wood (like your pictures show) moves more than rift or quartersawn.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:23 AM, wdwerker said:

While the face pictures they show don't look exactly the same that end grain is definitely a match. Did you read that it isn't exceptionally dimensionally stable ? So plan to deal with wood movement. Plus flatsawn wood (like your pictures show) moves more than rift or quartersawn.

Yea I saw that, my plan was an end grain chess board that is only 46yrs late.  I may not use the white, I am going to think about it, there is apparently no rush....

• Haha 1

white wenge, = Amphimas pterocarpoides, more commonly called lati and it is on my site with that name.

BUT ... based on the end grain, I think what you are showing is panga panga (a close wenge relative) sapwood

pangapangasapwood.thumb.jpg.244d8fb4d1b60b629574350b17665d80.jpg

Later: I looked at Eric's pics and was surprized to find that lati has the same end grain as wenge and panga panga. I was sure I remembered that it had a different structure but I check the North Carolina State University micropics (since I don't have a sample myself) and sure enough, it's the same, so I guess what you have IS lati.

• Like 2