Coffee Cabinet

Dknapp34

5 hours ago, Alan G said:

Nice! 

Certainly wood seeks small qty or is this part of a larger order? 

Been meaning to get some butternut and play around with it.

They take any size orders. I order a single sheet of 15"W x 124"L QS Wenge. They charge shipping, so its cheaper if you buy in quantity, but they will ship a small order. I received mine the next day after I spoke with a sales person there (of course I only live an hour away). They are very friendly and have a pretty awesome selection of veneers. I've bought from them once before and would highly recommend them. 

Butternut is ok. I like the look a lot, but it's hard to find without a lot of imperfections. I am ok with some small ones that give it character, so long as they aren't so bad that it starts to look "rustic." The color varies a lot and so do the grain patterns. Some boards have a greenish look to them, which is not very pleasant IMO. I've also found that the density varies greatly and the boards that are less dense tend to tear out and get the fuzzies when you mill them with straight knife machines (the segmented cutterhead on my jointer does a good job, the straight knives on my planer, not so much). The denser stuff machines fine, however. All that said, if you can get your hands on some relatively clear stock with a nice color, it's beautiful. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been busy at my real job lately so progress has been slow, but I basically finished the case and am starting to work on the wenge legs. This is them cut to size and clamped in place just to get a sense of what it's going to look like. The legs will get a generous roundover, so they won't be so boxy looking. 

IMG_1960.jpg.ac468f72078cc1b614b5255b05425b1b.jpgIMG_1955.jpg.490c38ae54ab62b631c11804b76f6b9c.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Overtravel slides are great . If you put " 05" on the end of any KV slide number instead of "00" that is the overtravel number. They are also handy when the opening is 23 1/2" deep a 22" overtravel slide lets build a 23" deep drawer.

This was my first time using them. They were easy to install but there is an overwhelming number of different types of slides out there so it was kind of hard to find exactly what I needed. I still prefer not to use metal slides, but for something like this it was the only viable option.