Spanish Cedar or Mahogany?

treeslayer

I acquired some cut-offs from a cabinet shop, mixed lot of wood. i grabbed what i thought was Mahogany today and made a recipe box for a friend. i gave it the sniff test and thought well thats what Mahogany smells like then i thought it smells like Spanish Cedar !. Its fairly dense, about the same color as Spanish Cedar but with no tell-tale resin or pitch pockets like SC has, none at all. can anyone tell me do i have some type of Mahogany or is there a SC that doesn't have the resin pockets? i have a couple of other boards that i think are Mahogany but they are lighter in weight. thanks guys, this poor soul from Iowa hasn't worked with Mahogany before.

46 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I acquired some cut-offs from a cabinet shop, mixed lot of wood. i grabbed what i thought was Mahogany today and made a recipe box for a friend. i gave it the sniff test and thought well thats what Mahogany smells like then i thought it smells like Spanish Cedar !. Its fairly dense, about the same color as Spanish Cedar but with no tell-tale resin or pitch pockets like SC has, none at all. can anyone tell me do i have some type of Mahogany or is there a SC that doesn't have the resin pockets? i have a couple of other boards that i think are Mahogany but they are lighter in weight. thanks guys, this poor soul from Iowa hasn't worked with Mahogany before.

Pics help

I'd bet mahogany. Just a guess. But it really is a cousin. Currently a lot of sapale is being used. From Africa. Used some and liked it. Could you show us a picture please?fullsizeoutput_1933.thumb.jpeg.f989e34a1719383f4b9c8e9fcf6107d5.jpeg

Quarter sawn sapele. All quarter sawn mahogany is aka ribbon grain. That is what happens when quartered. See the stripes in the wood.  Looks and smells and works like mahogany.

16 hours ago, kyokahn said:

Mahogany smells like... wood

Mahogany smells like mahogany. Very distinct. Include the African sapale. Same smell. Seems to me they all have a distinct smell. My shop takes on the smell of the wood I'm working. Then there is the after smell of mexican food...

• Haha 2