Drill bits

Chris208

Hi all,

I’m looking for a large set of good drill bits for wood. Clean holes. Brad point and twist bits included would be nice  

I’d like multiples in each size, especially the smaller bits. 

Any recommendations?

id prefer not to pay over 50-70$$. 

Thank you!

I bought a cheap, multiple set of twist bits from Lowe’s and bought a decent set of brad point, one of each size. Darned if I didn’t break the tip off of the 3/16” bp bit, first time out. I’m kind of liking the link that DNH posted above. 

To be honest, I'm having a good run out of a set of brad points from Harbor Freight. Surprisingly good, considering I paid less than $15 for the whole index.

For small (< 1/8") twist bits, I buy the packs from HF. Couple bucks gets you 10 or 12 bits. Drilling wood, you will generally break them before they get dull. I dunno about using them on steel.

• Like 1

+1 on the small HF twist bits. I bought a kit at Costco a few years back that has multiple bits of each size 1/16 thru 3/8. The tiny bits might be around 12 of each diminishing as they got bigger. Maybe 3-4 of the biggest ones.  All were the split point gold colored titanium plated type. Entire kit was under $100. Not the best on hard steel, mild steel ok, wood great. Best bradpoints I've gotten were from Germany via Amazon.

I've got a set of Letter and Number sized bits too. They don't get used near as often but when you need a bit that's just a little bigger or smaller they come in handy. 

For woodworking, meaning a hole for a wood screw, how many of you can tell the difference between a 1/16 and a 1/8” bit and why should you care. I usually use #’s 6.8, and 10 screws and will gather up a drill bit that I deem close to the shank of the screw. If undecided, I tend to err on the smaller of the two, depending on the hardness of the wood. If glue is included, maybe on the larger of the two. It ain’t the space station. 

• Like 1

In poplar or pine exactly sized pilot holes aren't that important.  Hard maple and soft cheap screws that come with Asian imported hardware makes accurate pilot holes much more important. Or do what I do replace those screws with quality ones and drill an accurately sized pilot hole anyways.

I used to think I could just line up the drill bit to the screw shank and it was good enough.   But I found a chart and came to realize I was usually undersizing the hole.   Especially in maple or oak.   Like I'd try to use a 1/8" bit on a #10 screw, when really I need 9/64.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Wood-Screws/Wood-Screw-Pilot-Hole-Size.aspx

I just have a random selection of small bit sets... mostly dewalt.   Actually best bits I have are some Black & Decker bits I bought at Target 30 years ago that were made in West Germany.   I only ever break things under 1/8" in size, so I'll just buy a pack of a couple 1/16" bits and such to handle that problem.

I have this set

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-29-piece-fractional-inch-brad-point-drill-bit-index-set

and my 'plan' was to use these till they weren't good any more, and then invest in a "nicer" set from Lee Valley.  My current set is still going strong so I don't see needing to upgrade coming any time soon.  

21 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

But I found a chart and came to realize I was usually undersizing the hole.   

I have one of those charts, too.  I now consult it all the time as I, too, found I was undersizing the pilot hole when judging by eye. 

The problem with a small pilot hole is how much you have to struggle to drive the screw which likely tears up the head.  

Interestingly my chart calls for a larger pilot hole for hardwood than softwood.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Interestingly my chart calls for a larger pilot hole for hardwood than softwood.

this makes sense.  softwoods will compress more easily so you don't need to maker as much room for the screw; and you want this type of fit for a better hold in the softer wood.

Hardwood won't compress as easily - but what little it does, it holds very strongly.  so you need to drill a slightly larger pilot hole or risk splitting the  wood.