Bosch 12” SCMS accuracy issue

Matd

I just got the 12” glide delivered, and after setting it up, and doing a few test cuts, was not impressed with the straightness.  It’s almost like the blade is deflecting during the cut. I’ve tried different woods and cutting speeds, with limited success in making the cuts completely straight.  The saw is highly rated in reviews and used by a lot of woodworkers , so I assume it has to have potential.  Has anyone experienced the same thing?  Conquered it?   I’m using the stock blade at the moment. 

Thanks

Mat

So as not to set yourself up, let's get grounded in the fact that even the very expensive miter saws are not super precision machines.  They excel at angles and compound angles as you find in trim work like crown molding, baseboard and the like.  Many folks use them with success in cabinetry.  They are great for cutting two-by material to length and angle for house framing. 

The 12" versions will make longer crosscuts and cut thicker material like you may find in deck building.  Blade upgrades are one of the more common ways to improve performance in any cutting machine and everyone seems to have their favorite.  Material holding is another area that can improve your accuracy.  Good material support is a key element in the use of many machines.  Your satisfaction with the result will vary with your use.  How are you planning on using the saw?

There is some technique using saws like this. The head extends a long way from it's mounting point so you need to use care in putting sideways pressure on the handle as you cut. Also a blade upgrade may help I don't ever use the stock blade on any saw, the bottom dollar blade they get is good for cutting dirty material that may have metal in it but they are far from an accuracy blade.

I also have to agree with Gee-dub, to an extent. I can use my 10" glide for precise work with a good blade and good technique. is my table saw with a miter gauge better. Yes, but i don't always need that level of accuracy, in fact it's not all that common.

I've got one. Better blade is a must for cut quality. Technique is needed to get an unwavering line. It's your pressure on the handle. You learn to stay steady and push straight. Workpiece needs to be well supported on both sides. It's got just enough play in it to deflect if you don't push evenly.  Cutting a piece too long and then using a second cut for accuracy may help with long heavy hard to support boards. 

Mitering huge crown works well. Cutting strange compound angles back and forth between left & right gets better w practice. Once you learn the lock & unlock for angle & bevel it switches better than my 12" SCMS Dewalt ever did. Plus the saw occupies a Shallower footprint in a tight spot in my shop.

For perfect 90  crosscuts I still prefer my sliding crosscut tablesaw. But changing angles on it isn't very fast. A crosscut sled on a tablesaw is better for reasonable length parts. But on really long stock the SCMS is the tool if you don't have the $$$ for a sliding crosscut tablesaw. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  After digging further, it looks like at least the arbor screw was bent , which warped the blade. Since I was still in the return window for Home Depot , I decided to take it back. This is the second saw I’ve had delivered with damage.  Very frustrating.   

Mat