Now the bad news

collinb

Shop vac isn't good enough for my Ridgid table saw.

Dust built up inside. It piled up pretty high.

Enough that it got into the motor.

Blue smoke comes out of the motor when it's under any stress at all. Nothing when it runs free.

It might be just the brushes. I have to do minor surgery to see what's happening.

Hopefully no insulation has burned up.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, drzaius said:

Which model do you have? You suspected brushes, which would indicate a job site saw, but that motor is an induction type with no brushes. You'd find that in a contractor, hybrid, or cabinet saw. The 2 motors would not be interchangeable. 

I'm sure it will work.

But may require excessive amounts of twine.

:ph34r:

Sorry, couldn't pass that opportunity.

Seriously, though - what make and model of saw is it?

• Haha 1

Sounds like you are at that point where many of us arrive.  It may be time for some real dust collection gear.  Dust collection is generally my first item on the list when folks ask what tools to get to start woodworking.  Like a lathe, the cost of the main unit is only part of the actual cost of getting to a working situation.

If you can vent outside, that's the ideal.  If your return air needs to stay in your breathing space you will want a very good filter.  If you want a very good filter you will need a cyclone to separate the spoil to keep that very good filter from clogging too often.  If you want separation you need a unit powerful enough to take the airflow hit that the separator puts in the path.

You can see how this starts to snowball before you even get to the ducting, gates and hoses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

The harbor freight unit does really well despite it's cost and the place it's sold from. I'd consider it collin. 

I do worry sometimes that in your effort to save money you end up paying far more having to buy things twice.

In this case it was a combination of a lack of knowledge (not giving attention to how much the shopvac would inhale) and passiveness (not check the box out)

Ridgid R4511. This is a medium-grade saw. It's certainly not a cheap saw nor is it a large shop production grade unit.  It has its design shortcomings. This condition seems fixable.

I noticed when I opened the door where the dust had collected: everywhere. In my estimation the shopvac would be (just) adequate IF I sealed the edges if the access door. That would force a direct air flow from the blade to the exhaust. But with the access panel leaking the air pressure and flow is seriously affected. Thus dust/chips drop instead of following the air current.

I'm learning now that even in mid-range equipment there is plenty of variation in quality.

I'm trying to limit myself to buying 2x. The first is to learn what a tool's capabilities; second, to get what I really need. This worked with hand planes and bandsaws. Didn't work with the table saw. I didn't know what I needed *at all* when I started. I couldn't buy once or even twice. There was too much to learn. All the good advice in the world doesn't always help if a person doesn't have (has not yet developed) a context for applying that advice.

Before I can get a hefty DC I'll need to run 2/20A + 1/15A to the garage. That's 1 for the DC and 1 for equipment, keeping my machinery separate from the rest of the house current. The extra 15A can run a modest AC in the summer to make the shop usable in Ohio humidity.

18 hours ago, drzaius said:

Which model do you have? You suspected brushes, which would indicate a job site saw, but that motor is an induction type with no brushes. You'd find that in a contractor, hybrid, or cabinet saw. The 2 motors would not be interchangeable. 

Shows how much I know about motors

Are you sure it didn't just blow the start capacitor?  A little dust can get in a TEFC motor, and I suppose the chips can get into where the fan is and maybe when it's off pile in there and jam it up so it won't be able to start.  But chips cannot get into the main part of the motor.  

Collin, don't avoid upgrading your DC just because of power. My garage has a single 120V, 20A circuit. On that circuit, I can run my table saw (1.5 hp), dust collector (1.5 hp), Rigid Spindle sander (?? hp) and shop vac (15 amp) all at once. What I can NOT do is start them at the same time. Normally, I never have more than 1 tool + 1 DC device going, but my son was helping me recently, so we had all four. Oh, and a box fan to help draw out what the DC and vac missed.

7 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Collin, don't avoid upgrading your DC just because of power. My garage has a single 120V, 20A circuit. On that circuit, I can run my table saw (1.5 hp), dust collector (1.5 hp), Rigid Spindle sander (?? hp) and shop vac (15 amp) all at once. What I can NOT do is start them at the same time. Normally, I never have more than 1 tool + 1 DC device going, but my son was helping me recently, so we had all four. Oh, and a box fan to help draw out what the DC and vac missed.

I've already gone through that. I periodically blow the breaker and have to run to the basement to reset it. The shop vac and one piece of equipment run fine on 15A. The only problem comes when I put a bit too much stress on the table saw or bandsaw. That's on me. But still it happens.

Right for the shop vac now I run a cord out of the front of the garage to the outlet by the front door. That gives all 15A to the equipment, with the following exception:
Our family room behind the garage is on the same circuit. So when the wife is using the treadmill -- let's say she reacts strongly when the breaker blows.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, drzaius said:

Oh, I'm on her side on this one. Terrible thing to do to a person.

It happened twice. And it's definitely a reason to get that extra wiring done in the Spring.

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I take it you don't have another circuit choose by that you could run an extension cord to temporarily?

Not in the garage. I run to the front porch rather than into the house. Don't want the dust inside.

1 hour ago, blackoak said:

i have a friend who has the rigid 4512, getting by with a shop vac/ dust deputy .i know he regularly hits it with compressed air while the DD is running to keep it clean.  Not perfect , but his shop vac stays humming along . Collin , are you using a cyclone ?

That was my setup until recently. It was ok, but it required frequently knocking the dust down to the bottom so it could be removed. I've since gone to a small 1 HP DC with a bag and it's so much better.

17 hours ago, blackoak said:

i have a friend who has the rigid 4512, getting by with a shop vac/ dust deputy .i know he regularly hits it with compressed air while the DD is running to keep it clean.  Not perfect , but his shop vac stays humming along . Collin , are you using a cyclone ?

Yes. The little DD.