I need a power scrapper!

curlyoak

Invent one and get rich.

IMG_4290.thumb.JPG.17b42d932e8bdaa5628f7972bd52b5c0.JPG

I am done since this picture. Next sanding. I don't like refinishing. I do my own stuff. Each time it reminds me not to do that kind of work. It was waterlox. An additional coat was added 8 years ago. It was fine for a number of years. Then it started gettin gummy. Nasty. Constantly filled the scrapper. That is now behind me. I intend to finish it with General armRseal gloss, oil. I have watched a few videos on application and it looks like it shouldn't be a problem. But now I am tired and I will do the sanding next when the energy returns...

doorsfullviewsmall.thumb.jpg.65dddb23e49170050bb1fd14ba7c7b39.jpgFor that kind of scraping, which we end up doing a lot of, I use scrapers like pro floor finishers use in the corners of rooms.  They are sold by Horizon Forest Products, and have Red Devil blades in larger handles.  I can usually get more done with the 1" one than the larger ones.   Sharpening is on the spot with an 8" Mill Smooth file.  I only use cabinet scrapers on bare wood.

Doors in the picture required a whole day each of just scraping.  Any light spots seen are just camera lens issues.   They were scraped with a cabinet scraper once the 175 years of paint was removed down to bare wood.  Several years later, they still look great, and the gloss finish is finally starting to dull just a bit.

33 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Too risky on historical, irreplaceable woodwork.  Getting in a hurry is never a consideration.  No deadlines.   It just needs to end with the best result, and "save what remains" is always the top priority.

That was not directed at you or what you do. I have chemical strip old pieces in the past with excellent results. Old finishes are usually thin and come right off. I’m not a fan of scrapping when chemical strip is an option. That’s just how I roll. 

-Ace-

Steve, I had the card scraper. And it has a hook. And I burnish the edge. The slow part is the gummy stuff was sticking to the scraper. But that is history and I am ready to sand.

I cannot visualize what a power scraper might look like. But it needs to be a time saver. 

I did consider the chemical removers. The hardware store had around 10 choices. I felt like I was on a game show. Some are good and some are bad. Didn't want to pick the wrong one. I don't like scraping but with the choices I had Im OK with the top so far. I know I can do no harm scraping.

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

I would still use at least a citrus stripper.  Whether I did or not a carbide scraper is a good inexpensive investment. I have this one and use it for many things.  Easy to sharpen.

Wish y’all wouldn’t do that, post neat stuff on here when I don’t need it, then I buy it and can’t find it when I do need it! Like an old lady with a tv remote and a QVC account:D

• Haha 1

I also had a carbide from Ace hardware. And one of those scrapers with 4 edges. And a set of card scrapers. And a heat gun. Tried it with and without the heat it seemed to be a little easier with the heat. There is still a little amber color on the wood but nothing to clog the sandpaper. Before I got going I took an 80g RO sander to see how far a disk would go. Just a touch on the trigger and the disk was loaded. I knew then it was going to be a dogfight. It did wear me out but I got it done and no blood. Next sanding...and now I need to re-do the edges of all my scrapers. Thats because of the goo I was scraping would stick to the tool. So cleaning damaged the edges. It got under the curl. 

Methylene Chloride is some really nasty stuff but it works. Maybe the danger is higher than they used to think, but I think they just don't trust the public to use all the proper procedures & protections plus the safe disposal of the now poisonous removed paint. 

One more reason why I switched to waterbourne finishes almost 20 years ago. Refinishing is a task I rarely even consider. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Oh did you guys see their pulling a lot of chemical strippers from the shelves at retail outlets?

Lowes, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, Walmart are pulling anything with Methylene Chloride off the shelves.

Haven't noticed. Last time I purchased a gal can of MC was this summer at Lowes. But wouldn't  surprise me. Don't the box store sell on consignment? So if the tree huggers are buying the citrus, why stock the good stuff. 

-Ace- 

I rarely do refinish work. I do not remember the last refinish I did. I put the first coat of General armRseal on the top. My first experience with general. I did play with a small piece of walnut. The top is 40 x 84. I could not work fast enough to get it to flow out even. I am thinking about adding some thinner to give me more time on the second coat. Any thoughts on adding thinner? Thanks.

fullsizeoutput_1c8e.thumb.jpeg.8585afa787688375e54819fd54f7b603.jpeg

The picture does not reveal all. It is OK but not optimum. If this was smaller I feel I can get a uniform application. I just did not have enough time to work it.  I'm thinking that if I got the right kind of roller I might get a better outcome. I'd be faster and I think I would get an even distribution with time to brush out what was needed. Is there a roller that will work? No bubbles.

My experience makes me think can armrseal be applied to very large areas? Like flooring?