Choosing a Band Saw

blackoak

In following the 3 tool/ $900 debate,  Llama  & brandon commented on the Grizzly 555 .  I'd like to know more on the 555 line , at about  $650 , or the jump up to the Laguna 14-12 and the other options at $1100 / $1200 . I'm a lifelong hobbyist , and the only tool left to upgrade is my old band saw . Now that I'm retired the bump up in cost  is a consideration . I rarely do heavy duty resawing . So other than the obvious  [ fit/finish  power etc. ] can anybody talk about the differences in these choices . What will settling on the Grizzly not give me ?

55 minutes ago, blackoak said:

So other than the obvious  [ fit/finish  power etc. ] can anybody talk about the differences

In addition to comparing the capacities of the saws (e.g. re-saw) also consider available features with different models. 

For me, I decided that having two miter slots was important and that a larger table would be nice as would a brake and tension release.  Initially I was going to go with 220V, which would have necessitated a visit from an electrician, but then found out the Jet 14 SFX has two slots and is 110V.  Table is decent size as are its other "capacities'.  It includes tension release, a fence and miter guage, but no brake.  All in all a good choice for me (presuming it goes on sale this Friday like its supposed to do).

So compare the features, too.

If had $650 I would probably look for a used Delta or Jet on CL in the $300-450 range. I had a delta for many years it was a great saw that I sold to my neighbor and he is still using it so its been going strong for like 25 years. If I were buying new I would save for the 1412 its a great saw. It is one of two Laguna band saws I have in my shop never had an issue with either one of them.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:08 AM, blackoak said:

close enough to Grizzly in Mo. to pick it up and save the shipping . 

You might want to check but you used to be able to oder stuff through Woodcraft and pick it up at the store to save shipping.  They carry Laguna and Jet.

57 minutes ago, blackoak said:

Who knew ? probably everyone but me . I assumed  the tax of the sellers home state applied .  Did some online shopping  and no tax added . That pays for the shipping , more or less .  Thanks

This is why I make most of my large purchases at Acme or similar online retailers.  No tax and free shipping, can't beat it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 1412 this year for my 60th birthday, and I love it. I'm cheap on lots of things, but the bandsaw should have more capability than the guy running it, and this one is smooth, easy to adjust, has good power and great ceramic guides. I have no regrets, and yes I did look at a grizzly as I have otherr grizzly tools, but I haven't regretted the 1412 purchase for one day.