Safe Heater

PPBart

I'm happily retired so I spend a lot of time in my shop: a 12'x24' portable building with insulated walls, Styrofoam panels under roof, but no insulation under floor. Cold weather is not a major problem around here (SE Louisiana), but we do get a few chilly (below freezing) days) --- enough for me to long for some additional heat.  My "dust collection" system consists of a small shop vac and a box fan with filter, so obviously the shop does get dusty at times.  I would like to add a safe (no open flame?) heater that would only be on when I'm in the shop.  Would one of those oil-filled radiator style units be OK?  Or maybe a ceramic heater?

For a long time, I used a couple of quartz radiant heaters, 1500 watts each, in my 16x20 shop. They worked OK, but the heating was somewhat uneven. I recently installed a 5000 watt electric heater that has an internal fan. It mounts from the ceiling out of the way. It has an integral thermostat, but I bypassed that with a line thermostat that mounts on the wall. The down side to this is that you must have enough electric service to accommodate it. It requires a dedicated 30 amp circuit with 10 ga wire. At full power, it draws 22 amps. I haven't used it much yet, but we have recently had some 40 degree nights and it has been able to easily maintain 60 degrees in the shop by running only occasionally as the thermostat demands. I normally use heat only when I'm there, but I have been doing some finishing and want it to maintain at least 60 degrees while the finish is drying. It's doing the job and I'm comfortable leaving it on at night or when I'm otherwise not there.

Agreed with the above..  I run a pellet stove in my shop but, that chews up more floor space and it's just not something that your going to run that often so, might be more of an investment than you're looking to make..

Many like the infrared wall heaters as well.