Sign in to follow this  
Bmac

Harvesting a Nice Black Walnut Tree

Ain’t the white sapwood a little wide for a northern walnut? I have never cut a northern walnut tree. That looks like a southern walnut by the white sapwood.

I think you have been fertilizing that tree. ;)

56 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Ain’t the white sapwood a little wide for a northern walnut? I have never cut a northern walnut tree. That looks like a southern walnut by the white sapwood.

Delaware is further south than you think, we are below the Mason Dixon Line!

Actually a few walnuts I cut last year had real wide sapwood, global warming maybe?

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

No. 

If they are growing in good rich soil they will have alot of white sapwood. I have cut them here with 1” or less sapwood and as wide as 4” of white sapwood. The wide white sapwood will made a walnut bring $1 to $2 per ft less money than one with a1” or less on it.

Here's a quick update;

Just scheduled the bandsaw mill for mid-Dec, will cost me $80 per hr. I will break the tree down and arrange the logs this weekend so I'll be all ready for the sawyer. Planning to use a friends bobcat to get the logs lined up for the mill. Preparation is key to minimizing the bill. 

More to come...

Spent a few minutes today breaking down this nice tree. Got 3 great saw logs about 8' each from below the crotch. Cut the crotch piece out and in the foreground you see a few smaller logs cut from above the crotch. I'll mill the crotch piece and the smaller logs with my chainsaw mill. The bandsaw mill will take care of the 3 main/big logs. 

Next I need to move the logs to get them lined up and in position for the bandsaw mill. The mill will be set up near where my truck is parked. 

You can also see the ends have all been sealed, I use anchorseal and this will get clear when it dries.

1531467438_milling21.jpg.7feaad1af56add5a30969974ce061df8.jpg