This gorgeous table!

Velvet57

Hello my wood working friends!

Is there any among you who can give me a layman's idea of how, oh how this gorgeous table can be somewhat duplicated? Just for a coffee table. The inlay is mirrored glass the wood is Asian hardwood. For me and my beginner girl skills, it does not have to be perfect. Love this table!

TABLE.thumb.jpg.a8a0db9c5917dbf6d206c16ca6b070a0.jpg

Define "somewhat duplicated". Beginner skills can certainly get you a close approximation, but it all depends on how close is close enough.

The legs are a reasonable project. Four pieces of something joined to make a rectangle. That can be wood, joined with anything from pocket screws (easy) to splined miters (moderate) to hand cut Japanese dovetails (hard).  That could be metal, joined with bolts (easy) to actual welds (hard). That could be plumbing pipes...it could be cardboard...it could be MDF, etc. And then paint it silver or whatever you like.

The top could be harder. If you're doing this in coffee table scale, then it's easier. A pair of 2x12's side by side would get you the width you want. The trick will be getting things flat and then cutting a recess for the mirror insert. Do you have access to a router? Google "router sled slab flattening" to get a sense of what you'll need to do to work with a table top like this.

Good hunting.

Am I seeing this wrong? The 'river' down the middle appears to be made of something like granulated / crushed glass, perhaps mirrored or polished.

I can think of two ways to make that. One involves epoxy, the other uses CA glue as a binder for the granular material. @Velvet57, if you can share what tools are at your disposal, you are likely to get better suggestions on how to construct it.

Two thoughts.

One: Seeing all the way through the top will make this more complicated.

The other thought: Seeing partway through the top is less complicated. (The picture looks like this also.) Two layers of ply leaving the bottom all the way across gives you a cavity to fill that has a bottom. Lay a mirror in it. Paint it blue. Paint it black. Paint it silver.  Shoot, lay in lighting if you like. Cast the void partway and lay the glass in the last layer of the casting. 

That far would only require research into casting, and a skill saw with a straight edge guide. 

The wood working skill to learne after that would be edge banding the two layers of ply. Bonus points if you could figure out how to let the casting media run past the bottom ply and flush with the edge banding. 

I think I have left good key words in this to lead your Googling in a few directions that will be fruitful.