New Shop Build in NE Ohio

VizslaDad

12 hours ago, VizslaDad said:

My pace has hastened as my wife is now pregnant with twin

Congrats! That's exciting.

12 hours ago, VizslaDad said:

as I worked through my permutations joy of joys struck me when I realized the mom-mobile we recently purchased won't fit in the space with room to open the door!

This is probably a good thing, having a car in a wood shop sounds like a good idea, cause it's got a stereo and all, but they take up a lot of space. They also don't work very well as an assembly table...

Also if it were me I'd switch the location of the table saw and jointer planer. It's more critical to have the jointer and planer close to the hard lined dust collection than it is the table saw.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Also if it were me I'd switch the location of the table saw and jointer planer. It's more critical to have the jointer and planer close to the hard lined dust collection than it is the table saw.

Great idea. I'd hesitated to use that configuration (I used it in one of my multiple permutations to gauge the future-proofness of my wiring layout) when I thought I still had to accommodate my wife's car, and then didn't correct myself.

Any other thoughts?

869834073_movedsaw.thumb.jpg.18da6296c81254e6eadb95b85bf5b861.jpgnewplan.thumb.jpg.96c3b3d4a33b32e599d44e171918a1be.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2019 at 6:22 PM, VizslaDad said:

My wife, dog, cat, tools, and I moved to Ohio from Washington State in November. Our house was built in the 20s, with an addition sometime in the last thirty years. The detached two car garage appears to have been built at the same time as the house. My beautiful, intelligent, and incredibly thoughtful wife has given the thumbs-up to my building a shop addition to the garage (so long as I also build an enclosed breezeway between garage and house). Sounds pretty straight forward, right? Well, there are a few complicating factors I need to sort through, and hoped the fine WoodTalkers would weigh in with thoughts. If you read what follows and think I ought to proceed in a different direction, don't be shy!

My current task is to get my general plan together so I can go to the building department and get the process started with them. I will be doing the bulk of the work myself once the weather allows me to begin in earnest this spring. 

The garage is approx. 18'W x 26'L. The roof slopes continuously front-to-back, leaving a floor to roof rafter height of ~7'4" at the rear. The structure is uninsulated, with 2x4 walls, plank sheathing, old asphalt shingles, and new roof. There's a beam supported by a lally column spanning the width of the structure approx. 2/3 of the way to the rear. Someone sandwiched more 2x8 laminations onto the original beam at some point in the last twenty years, for a total of five 2x8s bolted together to help hold up the roof rafters.  There's a hokey little roof peak in the front of the garage to help its roofline blend with that of the house from a visual standpoint, despite the actual mono-pitch roof out back. 

pic_of_house_garage.thumb.jpg.871a296818d2fdfa5b83fd2dd296c87e.jpg rear_garage_no_shop.thumb.jpg.85fd78ce5c0a7713ec6cee6801c16d4f.jpg

What I would like to do is add an approximately 20' addition to the rear of the garage to serve as my shop space. I want the roofline of the structure to look appropriate relative to the house from the street. I think the way I can achieve this is to raise the front 8' or so of the garage and add a little saltbox roof to that section (the space itself will be used for storage). This would hide the continuous roofline for the remainder of the garage, extending onto the shop, that would be behind it. I would tear off the existing roof, eliminate the beam and lally column, and sister in 2x6 studs and new headers. I will air seal, insulate, and drywall the retrofitted garage. 

The new shop room will be built on a CMU foundation (matching the garage) behind the garage, and a simple breezeway would be built between house and garage (approx. 18'L). The garage and shop will likely be heated and cooled via ductless minisplit. I can have our hydronic baseboard extended to the breezeway due to proximity. My wife likes the saltbox style roof for the rear as well, even though I think a simple gable roof would be preferable since I am likely going to be cutting my own rafters vs. trusses as I could set a few over the course of several mornings vs coordinating a crew and crane  (I work on Pacific Time, so I have a nice chunk of time every morning where I can do what I like before I have to fire up the laptop). 

added_breezeway_shop.thumb.jpg.113569b6b40048602aa76178f5de4391.jpgroof_off_view.thumb.jpg.3c44bca1308218560e97d9eedfb0370c.jpggarage_shop_plan_view.thumb.jpg.a79b614664906fe7a7a4ced31a9573c4.jpgshop_breeze_from_rear.thumb.jpg.66e8752e0612d8790dbc033b4cd09291.jpg

What do you all think? How does this plan sound? Happy to answer any questions that you have.

Thanks!

Sounds good, of course I'd love it.

BTW welcome to NEO, native here of 67 years in Ashtabula County,,,, Yes it is in the State bordered by Pa to the East and Lake Erie to the North. If you like share your progress.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 6:29 PM, VizslaDad said:

I never did look into it because I abandoned my plan for adding onto the detached garage or building a new building due for multiple reasons (chief among them cost!). I have, instead, insulated and covered the walls and ceiling with plywood. Now my current task is to run all my EMT conduit and wire the place. The shop needs to be up and running soon (before my wife gives birth)!

Well, that de-escalated quickly!

On 4/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, Randall said:

Well, that de-escalated quickly!

Ha. It's just escalated in a new direction. I'm almost finished wiring the garage. It looks like I will have the shop in functional shape before the twins arrive...good thing, as I don't want to wait 18 years to have a shop available to me. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Wait, you have twins arriving and you think you're getting into the shop anytime in the next 18 years?! :P:D

At least with twins they should be able to entertain each other fairly soon!  Plus down the road he won't have to ask his teenage son to help move something, he gets to watch his twins move. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

At least with twins they should be able to entertain each other fairly soon!  Plus down the road he won't have to ask his teenage son to help move something, he gets to watch his twins move. 

Can you imagine what kind of electronic device they will have in their hands when that time comes? But dad ......! 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 10:11 PM, Coop said:

Can you imagine what kind of electronic device they will have in their hands when that time comes? But dad ......! 

I have thought about investing in jamming equipment. I will, at a minimum, be able to kill their access to the wifi from my own device. :D

1 hour ago, VizslaDad said:

I have thought about investing in jamming equipment. I will, at a minimum, be able to kill their access to the wifi from my own device. :D

The problem is they will be using a phone so they will just use cellular data, making killing wifi useless.  

• Like 1