Dewalt DW735

jvg2259

Hello all,

My planer stopped running, and after a few checks, I determined that the micro switch was bad. I ordered anew one, but needed to use it NOW. So I bypassed the microswitch and ran some walnut thru. Only removed 1/32” each pass. The planer ran fine. I turned it off, and just like the last time, it would not run again. I don’t smell any type of electrical burning and the motor isn’t hot to the touch. Now I’m at a loss as to what to do next. To me, it seems  that either the onboard circuit breaker is bad, or the switch went bad, or the motor is shot. Any guidance is much appreciated. 

Jim

By micro switch you mean motor over current protection? In the manual if the planer ever stops you are supposed to turn it off for 2 min and then push the built in breaker. If the breaker wasn't faulty and tripped because of a short within the machine you might be out of luck. How old is your planet .... er planer? Is there a chance this is a result of the brushes being worn out? With the unit unplugged you could use a multi meter to check if there is a high resistance or unusually low resistance somewhere in the circuit. These are simple machines so the electrics on them aren't complicated.

https://servicenet.dewalt.com/documents/English/Instruction Manual/N263185,DW735.pdf

Link to manual.

Damn spell check never hear of a planer before!!! I guess I should have said thicknesser. Anyway, I’m not sure how to read a multimeter. Mine reads from left to right. So when the needle moves, that means that there is a short or a bad part? Since I don’t know how to use a multimeter,  tomorrow I will try to bypass the circuit breaker and check the brushes. I don’t know what would cause a short, the wires all look in good shape. The planer is about 8 yrs old with very limited use because I worked a lot of hours at my job. Now I’m retired and want to use my tools, and now I have problems. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My DW735 is less than 2 years old and it stopped running as well. I felt it was electrical so I first checked the switch. I was happy to find the on/off switch was indeed bad so I changed it out but after about an hour later it would not turn on again. So I then noticed that the roller the blades are on have a metal plate on the left side of the blade roller that when the blower cover is in place and tightened down with those red plastic "wing nut rod things" it pushes the plate down and unlocks the blade roller so it can turn. Well there was a thin pad that had worn out hence not pushing it down enough. I'm not sure if that's even the issue but after putting a bit more padding there it turned on after I put the blower cover back on. Well it quit again! So I thought it might be the switch, the reset breaker or the switch that must be pressed when the whole top cover is put back on so I bypassed all of that and still nothing. I don't know much about the motor's electrical parts but it must be in there so does anyone ave any advice for me at this pointof the trouble shooting game? Anything would be greatly appreciated! I have an order for some work and my planer is a must.  PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you !

@Lil'Runs I had an issue with mine  not running a while back, checked everything, all good. Then I checked the motor brushes, you can get to them thru a small panel in the out feed side of the machine. Turned out for some reason they were stuck in a retracted position away from the rotor, sawdust, bad luck I don’t know, removed, cleaned with air compressor all good, keep us posted. Hope you get it running