Single Step Shaker Stool

I think this turned out beautiful good work sir.

What is the purpose of the hole near the top?

I love birch I've hod some yellow birch in the shop and it works wonderfully. I agree the figured stuff is a PITA but it can look stunning when finished. I also like the finish schedule that you used i may try that one day.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

What is the purpose of the hole near the top?

Thanks

The hole is common in shaker furniture (from what I understand) for hanging on the wall.  Really though, the hole is more ideal for picking up,  moving, and supporting yourself as you step up/step down.  It's actually quite awkward to really grab it any other way.  I'm 5-8 and the hole is right where my hands fall by my side.

You don't realize how convenient it is to not bend over to pick up a stool until you don't have to.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vinnyjojo said:

Thanks

The hole is common in shaker furniture (from what I understand) for hanging on the wall.  Really though, the hole is more ideal for picking up,  moving, and supporting yourself as you step up/step down.  It's actually quite awkward to really grab it any other way.  I'm 5-8 and the hole is right where my hands fall by my side.

You don't realize how convenient it is to not bend over to pick up a stool until you don't have to.  

Those shakers seem to know what they are doing then. I never knew that about hanging stuff on the wall.

Pretty nice Vin.  I remember reading that article and thinking it looked like a fun project.  

16 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

Turned the plugs.

Did you use your treadle lathe?

They hang anything you can sit on on the wall during the day.  Their thinking was you are supposed to be working during the day not sitting.

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Those shakers seem to know what they are doing then. I never knew that about hanging stuff on the wall.

St. Roy did several episodes on the Shakers. Cleanliness was a big part of their belief. The "Shaker peg" was used in large numbers, mounted in strips around the wall, similar to a chair rail molding, but about shoulder high. All the movable furniture, chairs, stepstools, etc... would be hung on a peg to make it easier to sweep the floor.

• Like 1