What kind of wood is it?

Andy1453

Hi all

I need some help

I have bought 4 slabs(pics attached) of a specific variety  for a table top project from a wood merchant. Thing is there as some discrepancies among the slabs that have made me question a) the quality of the wood b)what type of wood am i really holding and if all 4 belong to the same wood variety. I have turned each slab upside down in the second pic.

Thanks

IMG_20190211_161425.jpg

IMG_20190211_161535(1).jpg

So to ID wood you need close up pictures of end grain. Off those pictures i can tell you it looks like 6/4 hardwood of some species that grows on earth. if you can get a fresh cut on an end with a quality cross cut blade something like 80tooth for 10" there are people here that might be able to help more.

Otherwise this is an excellent resource if you have a vague idea of what the wood is and want to confirm.

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Yes. We bought it for   European walnut. We liked the sapwoodpart as it will serve as a  pattern in the middle an as we saw itcreates a more interesting result than a  refined all brown walnut tabletop(which is great anyway). I will post a picture of how we intend to put the slabs together .

PS

I will get a closeup of the slab that thought it was  inconsistent with walnut.

0-02-05-81d707d850763b31505791b90a261a94fad128a11d67546dc716bdbef0078614_2273f2ae.jpg

5 hours ago, Andy1453 said:

Yes. We bought it for   European walnut. We liked the sapwoodpart as it will serve as a  pattern in the middle an as we saw itcreates a more interesting result than a  refined all brown walnut tabletop(which is great anyway). I will post a picture of how we intend to put the slabs together .

PS

I will get a closeup of the slab that thought it was  inconsistent with walnut.

The ones in question are the two middle slabs  that i thought differ from the two othertwo .

0-02-05-81d707d850763b31505791b90a261a94fad128a11d67546dc716bdbef0078614_2273f2ae.jpg

The ones in the middle only look different from half way up. Where they partially planed and the others are in rough state?

I've worked with English Walnut before, beautiful wood, alot of different coloring, so I could see where it is the same wood. Plane it all and then reevaluate.

• Like 1

Does the English stuff not get steamed like the American stuff? I've had some Walnut that was milled locally and color wise it's quite similar to the English walnut stocks on my long guns. Don't want to start a debate i'm just curious. The drawer fronts for the dresser i just made have reds purples and a lot of variation.

Stock looks good come back and share the project.

38 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Does the English stuff not get steamed like the American stuff? I've had some Walnut that was milled locally and color wise it's quite similar to the English walnut stocks on my long guns. Don't want to start a debate i'm just curious. The drawer fronts for the dresser i just made have reds purples and a lot of variation.

Stock looks good come back and share the project.

I'm not sure if they steam it. The stuff I used was air dried as it was from trees we harvested. It doesn't have the rich purples and reds like black walnut, but it has a more coffee brown color with black swirls and curly figure. 

The problem with colors in black walnut is that with time those rich colors fade, it's a shame. 

35 minutes ago, Andy1453 said:

i forgot to mention that we partially watered the slabs half the way up to have an idea how its goin to look finished. Otherwise they were planed the same way

Got it. I think the stock looks good and I think it's all the same stuff. It looks like you have more sapwood in the middle 2 boards.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bmac said:

The problem with colors in black walnut is that with time those rich colors fade, it's a shame

I guess i don't overly concern myself with color change. All woods do it to one extent or another. One of the reasons why i like cherry so much is that it changes for the better. I usually try and plan for the color change as well. Knowing full well that it'll take a few years for things to look right.

• Like 1