Texas mesquite

Mike71

I'm not familiar with Mesquite I live in Washington State, I would just try it if it works great if it doesn't now you know. In Washington suckers happen a lot in Broad Leaf Maple trees I've never tried to do anything with them. I wish I had some Mesquite around here it looks like very beautiful wood.

8 hours ago, Mike71 said:

Would old trees with many decades of new growth around the old be desirable for carving or furniture making?

Do you have a picture of the piece of wood?  I know woodturners are always interested in wood with interesting figure.  I would think carvers are the same.  

Mick, love the Longhorn, that’s a keeper. After visiting a customers 20,000 acre ranch in south Texas for many years, I too was enamored with mesquite, so much so that I bought and planted one here in Houston. It will never amount to a piece of furniture in my life time but just enjoy it’s slow growth. With the exception of the suckers you speak of which grow straight and about 30 times the amount of the other limbs. I can’t imagine the suckers having any character at all. Mick is definately the mesquite king! 

• Like 1

Coop, I filled that longhorn with turquoise to make it stand out after it was finished. It's now grazing on a door front to the left of the kitchen sink!

It is a slow-growing tree, even with all the water you get in Houston. I came across a guy out this way that has about twenty 8/4 x 12" - 20" x 72" slabs in his barn. I'm gonna take some off his hands once the snakes head inside for the winter. I'd give you his contact info, but I don't even remember where he is. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1