Celtic Knot

Chestnut

Nice job explaining this. Ive done quite a few celtic knot pen blanks, pretty much the same way with table saw and band saw. One option is to use multiple layers of colored veneer for the infill, doing contrasting borders on the knot loops look pretty cool. Aluminum and plastic cards are popular for infill borders, recommended to use epoxy for these materials.

9 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

Nice job explaining this. Ive done quite a few celtic knot pen blanks, pretty much the same way with table saw and band saw. One option is to use multiple layers of colored veneer for the infill, doing contrasting borders on the knot loops look pretty cool. Aluminum and plastic cards are popular for infill borders, recommended to use epoxy for these materials.

Part of the motivation to explain this was the fact that my sources didn't do a good job of explaining it. I agree the other fill options are a good idea this was just a quick test. I may prep some material in the future. The stuff i used to do this was material i use for splines which might also benefit from the look.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Part of the motivation to explain this was the fact that my sources didn't do a good job of explaining it. I agree the other fill options are a good idea this was just a quick test. I may prep some material in the future. The stuff i used to do this was material i use for splines which might also benefit from the look.

I look forward to seeing your projects. Looks like a good setup for a peppermill.

2 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

I look forward to seeing your projects. Looks like a good setup for a peppermill.

I was thinking once i get sick of my joke knobs on my bench it might be interesting to see If i could make this work there. I might make the knobs a bit larger than they currently are but I'd be OK with that.

I want to try some segmented stuff but my trouble right now is i have other things I should be working on.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

my trouble right now is i have other things I should be working on

These wouldn't be dining room chairs, would they ?  :D

If you could do little celtic knot knobs that would be super cool, but I have to admit I like the knobs you have made.  

21 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

That's awesome Drew, thanks for the tutorial. I might see if I can make up some pen blanks using this technique. I think it might look better on that scale with a thinner kerf blade... 

I was making a handle for real this time and figured out a good tip. Make sure your fill material is if anything slightly under. I found that i could put a clamp along the length and close a slight gap. If the material is too wide it holds the kerf open and you don't get a good glue bond in the center. DAMHIK.

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

These wouldn't be dining room chairs, would they ?  

I don't want to talk about it. :o  :P

3 hours ago, SawDustB said:

That's awesome Drew, thanks for the tutorial. I might see if I can make up some pen blanks using this technique. I think it might look better on that scale with a thinner kerf blade... 

Ive used my bandsaw lots of times, made an angle sled for the blanks. You will need to get a solid chunk of similar wood and make a test cut into it to check the sizing on whatever insert you use. It will change with the different blades. It will even change as the blade gets miles on it as the set sometimes gets knocked down a little, best to make a fresh test cut at the beginning of each session.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, legenddc said:

That's really cool. It made my brain hurt some with the images but great job describing what to do.

Yeah it's complicated in thought but easy in practice. Have the angle set (can be any angle really) and a stop to hit the same distance each time. Then it's cut, fill, rotate 90 degrees.

thinking about it more and more you could do a 6 sided blank and have 6 inserts or 5 sided ect ect and the variations could be interesting and fun to play with. It's pretty flexible. Adjusting the stop location for half the cuts may lead to an interesting effect as well. The options really are limitless. These are things I've thought about playing with since i posted this.