Is it just me

harryangel69

Is it just me or do most of us have a project or two laying around. Just lost interest, pushed too hard, or gave up. I have a three I can think of that are biggies. My kitchen needs a little finishing (five years I think). The back deck rebuild needs a little TLC. This will be year three on that one. Swore to my wife I would never build anything again after that deadline, and sold most of my tools afterwards. The basement, converted from a man cave to a family living space with a work space for my wife (last fall). None of these are small projects. The kitchen was an entire floor of my house stripped to studs and walls removed(5 weeks), and the basement was almost as complex(3 weeks). The deck is 20X50 (choicedeck) with a sunk in hot tub (3 weeks). All while working a full time job. Might post pics and details if I get bored later, but just wondering if it is me and my A D D or do we all do this.

Count me into the club too!

Silly me bought a house built in 1930 on two acres with 1.5 acres of it lawn. Not to mention 7 kids and a single income. Not much time to do anything but take a breath and go again. Nearly every project that I have started, still needs to be finished. It's either time, money or get to a point where I can take a breather and don't get going again.

Count me into the club too!

Silly me bought a house built in 1930 on two acres with 1.5 acres of it lawn. Not to mention 7 kids and a single income. Not much time to do anything but take a breath and go again. Nearly every project that I have started, still needs to be finished. It's either time, money or get to a point where I can take a breather and don't get going again.

At last I feel good!!! I moved to France ten years ago into a 500 year old derelict with 43 acres, which we gave away, I am no farmer. No water, no toilet facilities what so ever. One 11 Watt light bulb (never seen one that low before) and one socket. First thing the electricity company refused to turn on the electric and returned three months later to put in a new supply. There are six very large rooms down stairs and until last year two open to the roof ( I was going to say open to the sky, but I did put all 117 feet by 30 feet roof on in 2001) attic spaces, which are now four, soon to be five bedrooms and four bathrooms, almost completed. But, like you if I had the money and didn't have to work very full time it would now be finished. Probably another two years, I hope. Then another ten maybe to re-do the cock ups and finish all the niggling little unfinished bit and pieces that shout at me every time I pass them by.

Wouldn't change it for the world.

Yep, I feel your pain.....3300 sq ft House built in 1905 and moved to where it sits now in 1930. I have been reconstructing this thing for 8 years. The current phase has been the most expensive and time consuming(1100 sq ft, including the kitchen,1 of the living rooms, upstairs bathroom, bedroom, "sitting" room. Building the Kit. cabinets now, literally, guess I better go and get back at it.....

I made this post yesterday about fiveish. Last night about nine my wife remind me of all the stuff that needs to be finished. I was hard to keep a straight face.

Also, I forgot the fence that a eight foot section still needs to be rebuilt after an ice storm about three years ago.

Looks like none of us are going to be bored, or allowed to die

no not just you i have a house that was built in 1885 so far i have gotten most of the things done just not all i have a half bath that needs a door (which has been sitting in my shop for a year) have a kitchen that needs me to finish trim and a full bath that needs gutted and redone oh and i cant forget about the pluming that i need to finish for the whole house so my pipes don't sound like there coming through the floor. yea i think we all have some work to do.

its a great starter house for someone anyone want to buy it? LOL

Oh man I don't know if I could actually list all the things I'm SUPPOSE to have done by this point. I have rooms that need painting, a bathroom remodel, wood floor that should've been installed a really long time ago.

Episodes to record, edit and post. So many projects for the family I'm afraid to even think about them!

I tell myself I just need a couple weeks off to start tackling the small things, but I have a feeling that would be like shoveling snow at the base of an oncoming avalanche lol!

Feels good to know I'm not alone.

Along with many other projects, I have red wood sitting in my shop for a picnic table and benches that I purchased in 2007 when my wife and I moved into our house. My wife and I talked over the weekend I actually have plans to start it this week. We made the plans before I saw this post. NO JOKE! Still, this post is an inspiration to get moving.

When it comes to woodworking projects, I do have a couple. When it comes to the house a couple times infinity! I completely gutted almost all of our house, put it back together, milled my own trim, made my cabinets and so on. The problem is finishing up those little things at the end, ok so some aren't little things (like doors on a couple of the rooms!!)

Nate

I guess im a little different. Once I start I cant stop until im done! In my old house I blew apart my kitchen and dinning room all at once (before kids). I do remember coming home one day and walking thru the front door and saying my god i cant believe i did this to a house! In the end (10 weeks total) it all turned out good and im still with the same woman, new house though. But seroiusly when i start something i usually see it thru to the end. It tends to consume me. On larger projects like the kitchen table im doing now I will take a day off here and there just to stay aquainted with my wife and children- ya know?

I guess im a little different. Once I start I cant stop until im done! In my old house I blew apart my kitchen and dinning room all at once (before kids). I do remember coming home one day and walking thru the front door and saying my god i cant believe i did this to a house! In the end (10 weeks total) it all turned out good and im still with the same woman, new house though. But seroiusly when i start something i usually see it thru to the end. It tends to consume me. On larger projects like the kitchen table im doing now I will take a day off here and there just to stay aquainted with my wife and children- ya know?

I hate you. :P

Seriously though it always starts that way. I can accomplish miracles in a short amount of time. It is the end. Those last few things, and they are all so small it is almost ridiculous. I think that is what drives my wife nuts the most.

I've got a situation that's kind of backwards to most people. I work on the weekends. I put in 10+ hour days, come home drained and with very little motivation, and the family decides they want to spend time together. So I don't do any woodworking on the weekends.

During the week, I play taxi driver for about an hour in the morning, then get to start on the laundry (every day, it seems like it multiplies. I know I've washed the same shirt from the kids' room five times without it ever being worn...), then get to check the sales, and see if there are funds available, then do the basic purchasing, then try to squeeze in some woodworking, then play taxi driver again, back to woodworking, back to taxi driver, then play chef (okay, microwave cook), squeeze in some more woodworking (or, more likely, laundry) and still find time to surf the internet or attempt to load podcasts.

Since the wife got injured, and is going through workman's comp issues, this simple routine has gotten even more messed up.

Add in family members that don't want me to do the work on the house that needs to be done, and I'm in with everybody else and their unfinished projects. (And we haven't even gotten to the projects I moved into the house...)

I keep playing the lottery, hoping to win some day so I can hire a limo. And maybe send my laundry out to be done. I doubt I'd change anything else.