Review - Hybrid PantoRouter

Mick S

@Mick S are you still enjoying your PantoRouter?  I have been kicking around getting the Leigh FMT, Powermatic PM701 benchtop mortiser, PM719T floor model, or just staying with my current methods for M&T joints? In the past I have done my M&T joints with a plunge router and table saw and then rounded the ends of the tenon to fit into the joint.  I was just looking for something that was a little more accurate for my joints and the overall look of my projects, would speed up the process, and would just not take just as long as my current method by the time you sharpen bits, adjust jigs, or setup the machine for a new system.  Pricing wise if I was going to go all the way up to the PM719T, I might as well consider the PantoRouter as it is in the same ballpark all in with the other units at the upper end. 

My only question is it just looks not as strong since it is made out of aluminum and not a cast machine so wondering how well it stands up in the shop over time.  I was also wondering how it deals with "longer" parts.  I usually am not doing large heavy parts, but for example one of my current builds is an outside bench that would have its longest part at 48" L x 3" T x 2.5" wide that would need mortises along its entire length for the slats and the rails are 42.5" L x 3" x 2.5" that would need the tenon on each end to fit into the leg.  I saw on their website they have plans for a little cart with extensions to hold longer parts and was not sure if I had to go that route or could set something up on my bench. 

My buddy had a Domino 500 that he let me use on a project a long time ago and for that one it worked well but I felt like it was a little awkward to get it lined up correctly and to hold my work so I could make the joints.  Also I felt at that time the joints were not super snug, but maybe it was how I was using the machine.  I was not sure if I would feel the same with this kind of unit or if this is totally different.  Now that was a long time ago and I have a much better bench and working space than in the past, but that experience made me think I should skip over the domino and not consider as an option for M&T joints and was why I was leaning way from the Leigh FMT.     

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:19 PM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

@Mick S are you still enjoying your PantoRouter?  I have been kicking around getting the Leigh FMT, Powermatic PM701 benchtop mortiser, PM719T floor model, or just staying with my current methods for M&T joints? In the past I have done my M&T joints with a plunge router and table saw and then rounded the ends of the tenon to fit into the joint.  I was just looking for something that was a little more accurate for my joints and the overall look of my projects, would speed up the process, and would just not take just as long as my current method by the time you sharpen bits, adjust jigs, or setup the machine for a new system.  Pricing wise if I was going to go all the way up to the PM719T, I might as well consider the PantoRouter as it is in the same ballpark all in with the other units at the upper end. 

My only question is it just looks not as strong since it is made out of aluminum and not a cast machine so wondering how well it stands up in the shop over time.  I was also wondering how it deals with "longer" parts.  I usually am not doing large heavy parts, but for example one of my current builds is an outside bench that would have its longest part at 48" L x 3" T x 2.5" wide that would need mortises along its entire length for the slats and the rails are 42.5" L x 3" x 2.5" that would need the tenon on each end to fit into the leg.  I saw on their website they have plans for a little cart with extensions to hold longer parts and was not sure if I had to go that route or could set something up on my bench. 

My buddy had a Domino 500 that he let me use on a project a long time ago and for that one it worked well but I felt like it was a little awkward to get it lined up correctly and to hold my work so I could make the joints.  Also I felt at that time the joints were not super snug, but maybe it was how I was using the machine.  I was not sure if I would feel the same with this kind of unit or if this is totally different.  Now that was a long time ago and I have a much better bench and working space than in the past, but that experience made me think I should skip over the domino and not consider as an option for M&T joints and was why I was leaning way from the Leigh FMT.     

So I am no Mick by any stretch :)

Having said that I do own a Mortiser, Domino, and Pantorouter and all are great machines but do indeed differ both in price but also in abilities. As a baseline I find all three to be well built machines and in a hobby shop, have no doubt at all, they will meet most woodworkers needs for a lifetime.

So of the three if I didn't have a need for square holes off the tool on a regular basis the mortiser would be out. For ease of use the Domino cannot be beat and I would not be without mine. Having said that if money were no object of the three I would go with the Pantorouter first. Its a very versatile tool easy set up, very easy to dial in the exact tolerance you want, and you can make repeatable joints almost effortlessly but you're looking at $3K and that is a lot to stomach for something a base router and template will do.

It really comes down to where you are on your woodworking journey and shop fit out as well as what types of things you want to make. 

Re your question on large pieces and the Pantorouter I use a roller stand if needed and it works great

Hope this helps and really look forward to Mick's response as well! Mick fyi hope all is well and we miss you on the forum  

• Like 2