Hand Router How I Made Mine

gmercer_48083

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The cutter is brilliant. Is there a way to post a link to be able to download the pdf? I've always wanted a router plane but i just can't bring my self to buy one and no one wants to get me one for a gift.

Just get yourself one. After you've used it you'll wonder why you didn't get one years ago.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RichardA said:

I'm not trying to bust your bubble.  But router planes have been around for years and years.  Also, there are ton's of videos showing how to make one.  They are actually a simple tool to make. You did a nice job with yours.

Why so you think that would ‘burst his bubble?’ I see no claim that he thinks this is a new concept. He is just sharing some plans for the one he made, that can be made with a few scraps and things found around the shop.
I think using the hex wrench to make the blade is a great idea. Might take a bit of fiddling to get the cutting edge nice and flat and square, but a great option for those that don’t want to buy a blade (or router plane itself).

Embarrassingly, I have a nice Veritas router plane but I haven’t even used it yet!

32 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Look, there's a video of Paul Sellers shoving a chisel blade through a chunk of wood and using it as a router plane. It's not  that his plans are bad, it's just that anyone can make one with 5 minutes of thinking.

Except that two experienced woodworkers on here (not myself) have already expressed their interest and appreciation for his plans. 

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue this discussion, but I won’t clutter up this thread any more. 

1 minute ago, drzaius said:

Try it. You'll like it.

I’ve been wanting to! Unfortunately my first order was stolen off my porch and by the time I got the replacement I had passed the part of my project that could have used it. Looking forward to the next opportunity though.

13 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Except that two experienced woodworkers on here (not myself) have already expressed their interest and appreciation for his plans. 

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue this discussion, but I won’t clutter up this thread any more. 

I have no disagreement with his plans.  His router plane seems to function the way he wants and expect's it to. I even like the design. I have no further need to be a part of this silliness. Anyone can make one if they want to Period.

23 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Thanks for sharing the PDF this is really neat. I imagine that you could take it and make one what ever size you need.

Yes, I made mine to hollow the wedge area down to depth when making side escapement hand planes.

As a side note: to shape the Allen wrench easily I heated to cherry red (dull), then let air cool to soften the steel. Once softened it can be file or ground to shape. When you have the shape you want, reheat again, directing most of the heat around the heel (ankle) of the Allen wrench... allowing the red to grow toward the cutting edge, then quench quickly into a can of vegetable oil to cool. At this stage it will be very brittle so take care not to break it... treat it like glass. There will be carbon (blackened) all over the wrench that should be removed using fine sandpaper and to leave a shiny metal surface. The shiny surface is needed for the next step (annealing). To anneal, place the Allen wrench into a 375 degree pre heated oven for about 40 minutes... or until the color of the steel is a straw color (not hay color). Once it reaches a straw color, you can remove and let cool to room temperature. The annealing softens the outer portion of the steel while the internal part is still quite hard. It can now be sharpened with whetstones/diamond stones/or wet dry methods.

• Like 2