Long Term Storage of Cast Iron

davewyo

Cover it in oil and wrap everything up is how I handeled my cast iron when i moved. Mine sat in a storage unit for only 5 months though.

Glad your saw is still in great condition. Does this mean you have access to 220v now and are going to put it back to work?

• Like 1

Yes indeed! It is up and running.

All the spots for breakers were taken up so we had to add a small sub-panel but otherwise it was no big deal.

I had moved with my cross-cut sled and it still cuts true. I made a fold-up out-feed table for it akin to the one Dr. Zaius showed recently. So I'm ready to push some wood across it again...:)

I had been using my DeWalt DWE7490 and it's been a workhorse for me, but it sure is good to have my cabinet saw back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chet said:

Thats good to hear.

Who was celebrating with the beer, you or your saw? ;)

Well I guess it was the both of us, but I drank the lion's share.

Thanks everyone! Now let's see if I can get back to work furniture making on a regular basis. I'm having a hard time these days keeping a steady flow of ideas rolling. I need to have a plan drawn up for a next project before the finish starts going on the current project or I end up having big gaps in my production.

• Like 2

LPS3 is perfect for that kind of work so I'd say you picked a product and used it exactly as they intended when they invented it. LPS1 and 2 may have helped, but nothing preserves as well as 3 for that kind of thing. Boeshield also works well and yes, it actually is used on airplanes. LPS3 is to some degree but it does collect a bit of dust. Boeshield hardens and protects.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:17 PM, davewyo said:

Thanks everyone! Now let's see if I can get back to work furniture making on a regular basis. I'm having a hard time these days keeping a steady flow of ideas rolling. I need to have a plan drawn up for a next project before the finish starts going on the current project or I end up having big gaps in my production.

I’m in the same boat! 

• Like 1