Wow - This looks like a great deal!

Mick S

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That is REALLY tempting I've been waiting to add a 2nd table saw to my shop to have a dedicated Dado saw. That's a great prices for that and the table is the same size as my current saw.

Digression alert! Unless you're in a production environment, cutting the same dados, what's the point in having a dedicated dado saw? You still have to remove the head to change dado widths. Please enlighten me.

I never set the dado stack width. I normally set up like 5/8" and use the fence for tenon cuts or bury the blade in the fence for rabbets. For exact width dados the kerf maker is far faster and easier than trying to set the stack up by trial and error. I honestly don't know what width i set up because i just grab the outer blades and all the internal blades and spacers. It's M&T and the rabbets for drawers that this problem comes up the most on. I feel like every project i make has a M&T and a drawer.

I don't use my dado stack because i find I'm constantly switching between a standard blade and the stack when i have it installed. Having to adjust the blade height etc in the middle of a project creates problems as well. I do all of my final cross cuts on my table saw with a miter gauge and sometimes i don't really know the length i need at the time. So then i use the SCMS and deal with imperfect cuts. Most if it is poor planning but this is a hobby and I don't want to make it a chore.

I"m on the fence between a 2nd band saw or 2nd table saw, it's going to be 1 or the other.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation Drew. It's timely because I got a Kerfmaker for 35% of at Lee Valley (impulse purchase), but have not used it yet, or even figured out how. Anything would be better than futzing with spacers in the dado head.

But I will be sticking with 1 table saw.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Thanks for the explanation Drew. It's timely because I got a Kerfmaker for 35% of at Lee Valley (impulse purchase), but have not used it yet, or even figured out how. Anything would be better than futzing with spacers in the dado head.

But I will be sticking with 1 table saw.

I have the space and the 2nd saw is cheaper than the DF700 ... by a long shot.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:29 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Dado shims are a pain in the neck

The way I avoid the shim crap is I set the stack as close to the thickness needed as possible without being to wide and then make light passes of the shelf or panel through the drum sander for the fit.

Of course this only works if you have a drum sander. ;)

• Like 2