Just ordered a Dust Deputy...

JimB1

I just got the OK from command central (wife) to spend the cash on a Oneida Dust Deputy. B) Ordered it from Rockler using the affiliate link from TWW site to support the forum :)

I've been researching for a while now and I don't have the room for a regular dust collector so I've been making due with a Ridgid shop vacuum for a long time now. Unfortunately that tends to leave fine dust all over the place since the filter gets filled up long before the vacuum is full.

I thought about the trash/5 gal bucket lids and making a Thien baffle and all that but the Dust Depuy seems to be pretty straight forward turn key operation so I'm hoping to spend less time building and tweaking it.

I'm thinking about making an enclosed cabinet to keep the vac and deputy in to reduce the noise from the vac and keep all the vac attachments in one place. I need to see how tall the DD is with the hoses in place, if it's reasonably low, I might put a downdraft table above it and have the dust go right to it. Make it a complete dust workstation. We'll see how that idea flies...

I've read a few posts here about these but if anyone has any tips or tricks that you've found in using this, I'd love to hear them. No sense re-inventing the wheel :P

Thanks

-Jim

Can't wait to see what you come up with, Jim. I've been looking at one of these for some time. I would like to build an enclosure also, to keep the shop vac and the canister under my miter saw.

I would be interested in knowing the height when you get it figured out, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks!

I need to see how tall the DD is with the hoses in place,

Mine is just shy of 36" tall using a standard 5 gal bucket and a shop vac with a 2-1/4" hose. You can shave a few inches off the height by using a 3 gal bucket.

I might put a downdraft table above it and have the dust go right to it. Make it a complete dust workstation. We'll see how that idea flies...

The shop vac really doesn't have the CFM to pull dust through any large opening like a downdraft table or big dust hood. It works very well with a tool like TS55 or a small-ish table saw. It works well with a random orbit sander, but I needed to reduce the suction to prevent swirl marks and gouges. I took a shop vac hose coupler and drilled a couple 3/8" holes through it then put it inline with the sander hose. The holes reduced suction enough to get quality sanding.

Major pita if you ask me but possibly worth it if it really gives your more filter life.

It makes a huge difference in filter life, plus it makes it a lot easier to retrieve stuff you accidentally suck up.

TO anyone who has one please post pics and report of how they work. Im curious but they seem to almost double the size of your shop vac! Major pita if you ask me but possibly worth it if it really gives your more filter life.

Depends on how big your shop vac is! Here's the DD next to my Fein Turbo II:

post-1150-0-22053000-1299100129_thumb.jp

My biggest complaint is that the nozzles don't seem to fit any vac hse that I have around, but some PSA paper and a couple of rubber bands cut from an inner tube fixes that:

post-1150-0-97174800-1299100225_thumb.jp

Now it fits my Fein hose, the 36mm Festool hose and even the small 1" hose for my PC sander(not shown):

post-1150-0-34826300-1299100338_thumb.jp post-1150-0-84272500-1299100373_thumb.jp

I'm probably going to get a couple of these from Incra(it comes with the Wonder Fence) to eliminate a lot of the hose going between the units:

post-1150-0-70769000-1299100466_thumb.jp

Haven't been able to find anything locally and I've looked at 4 different woodwork suppliers.

As far as how it works, I use mine mainly for sanding, routing and shop cleanup. I've emptied the bucket at least twice since I emptied the Fein, here's what's in it:

post-1150-0-73338700-1299100614_thumb.jp

If you use filter bags they'll last forever(or it seems like) as long as you don't forget to plug in the DD and hook something up straight to the vac. I'm absolutely amazed at how much really fine dust it manages to catch.

And yes, it's a PITA to haul around. I finally figured out a place to put it so my hoses will reach from almost anywhere I'm working(small shop). Eventually I'll build a stand a cart for it, the Fein and the hoses. Ont thing you'll probably want to do is use the "double-bucket" trick, put a couple of bricks or some sand in the extra bucket and set the working bucket on top. Until it gets about halfway full, the thing is top heavy and subject to tip. And if it falls over you've got a BIG mess! Don't ask how I know this.....:unsure:

Good enough?

Bill

Just got the email, it'll be here next Tuesday (got free shipping :) )

Can't wait to give this a try. I can see myself playing with this for a few hours when it gets here :D :D :D

Sometimes you just know you'll find a use for something and buy it even if you aren't exactly sure what you'll use it for. Perfect example, I bought a closeout Ridgid 2 1/2" dust collection shop setup kit for $17 (marked down from $70) about a year and a half ago and I haven't even opened it yet so I have plenty of clear tube, flex hose, 90s, blast gates and couplings to come up with something cool :)

Time to start drawing up some cabinet plans. I ordered some casters with it knowing I would need them. Wish I could use sketchup better though, I still draw my stuff up on sketch pads and graph paper. I just can't get the hang of sketchup. Maybe I need to do some 2-D drawing instead...

-Jim

• 2 years later...

DeGauss, or anyone else who has used the Dust Deputy model designed to mount on the Festool extractor, has this worked well for you?  This past weekend I did a significant amount of template routing in 3/4" plywood, with a 1/2" diameter bit...needless to say I created a mountain of saw dust.  When I opened the deputy reservoir it was nearly empty.  I checked to make sure that my hoses were connected at the right points and they were.  I had started the project by putting a new bag in the Festool extractor as the old one was full, so it was operating clean and at full power.  I am not using the plastic bags in the deputy, do I need to be?

So far I'm really disappointed by this as it doesn't seem to work.  Two of the 'fixed nuts' which the cyclone bolts to were stripped and their really weren't any instructions / directions.  Now I like to think I'm a fairly smart guy, but this is looking like a terrible waste of $200. 

Here is photo of valve mentioned in my earlier post today.  I assume you have the Festool hose in the photo attached to the top of the Dust Deputy not the side. (Hope the photo attached as a file works - the Image button used to allow upload of pic from computer, now it only allows a URL)

post-3860-0-93167200-1381174823_thumb.jp

Yes it is big. Mine is attached to the Festool systainer/vacuum. I call it my "FrankenVac".

I haven't pulled the trigger on the Ultimate Dust Deputy yet but I love my regular dusty deputy. It catches almost all the dust from my 16/32 drum sander!

I was too cheap to buy the boom arm so I made my own in 15 minutes!

post-6363-0-74578900-1381244568_thumb.jp

3 systainers, 2 strap clamps, a few scraps and a couple of bungee cords did the trick.

I was thinking the Ultimate Dust Deputy could support a better version of my boom arm and a few spacers would let me change the bag without taking the whole thing apart.

go steve!!! that thing is awesome!

JIMB1, don't be surprised if you end up spending a whole day on modifying and rigging this thing up. at one point, i had two which was great, one by the table saw, one by the miter saw. I did a floor refinishing job and used one of them (worked great) but i left the thing on the curb in NYC. so now that i only have one i bolted it to the rigid shop vac with supplied foam block. it's a pretty awful setup. it takes up tons of space and over time, the bolts come loose because the foam compresses. just last week, i built a cart to fit the dust deputy and shop vac motor with an mdf box over the filter. it solved my floor space issue but, has increased the resistance on the suction which makes the motor work harder and i seem to have lower suction speed. I will need to make a larger filter box and see where that takes me. another plus on the cart is for a boom arm for sanding and routing. pics soon

post-7460-0-67420900-1381275242_thumb.jp

I bought a Dust Deputy about a month ago.  I was able to get a 10 gallon plastic pail from a vendor at work.  I am really amazed how well it works.  Used it with my 6" jointer and planner tonight, as it is the only dust collection I have right now.  It did a great job, picked up almost everything from the jointer and most of the dust from the planer.

Hooked up to a good vacuum is an outstanding addition to any shop.

Josh

After playing with my Dust Deputy some more I now am a fan.  While it should have been self evident, you mush install the rim gasket between the box and the box lid; these two surfaces are not even vaguely flat, particularly to each other, and without the gasket the vacuum is moving a lot of air through this gap and therefore the dust doesn't get a chance to drop out.  I'm still not happy that two of the 'keeper' nuts in the box lid are stripped, but I'll chase them and make it work.  

After playing with my Dust Deputy some more I now am a fan.  While it should have been self evident, you mush install the rim gasket between the box and the box lid; these two surfaces are not even vaguely flat, particularly to each other, and without the gasket the vacuum is moving a lot of air through this gap and therefore the dust doesn't get a chance to drop out.  I'm still not happy that two of the 'keeper' nuts in the box lid are stripped, but I'll chase them and make it work. 

while i dont have the festool version, i too found that the gasket was super important. I applied a huge globby bead of silicone  around that joint on my DIY kit and the same on the dust deputy kit with the oneida buckets after the nuts continued to come loose. my DIY version has held up better than the oneida bucket version since i left it on the curb. 

I have had mine for about 6 months and love them, well I love the one I have installed, I was going to use the second as a semi perm setup but have not gotten around to it yet. I am also using a Ridged shop vac. I bought the stand alone DD and rigged it to a Lowes 5 gal plastic bucket and lid. The lid is weak and I had to cut a wood support to bolt inside the lid to keep it from being sucked in and causing a leak but other than that it works well. I have mine mounted to the shop vac so it moves with the vac. It is a little higher than the shop vac is but overall it is a very positive improvement in the setup. The ability to retrieve items sucked up by accident is a big plus. I installed a new paper liner/filter in the shop vac at the same time and it is great.

• 4 years later...
On 3/2/2011 at 2:25 PM, BuilderBill said:

My biggest complaint is that the nozzles don't seem to fit any vac hse that I have around, but some PSA paper and a couple of rubber bands cut from an inner tube fixes that:

Now it fits my Fein hose, the 36mm Festool hose and even the small 1" hose for my PC sander(not shown):

post-1150-0-34826300-1299100338_thumb.jp post-1150-0-84272500-1299100373_thumb.jp

I'm probably going to get a couple of these from Incra(it comes with the Wonder Fence) to eliminate a lot of the hose going between the units:

Haven't been able to find anything locally and I've looked at 4 different woodwork suppliers.

As far as how it works, I use mine mainly for sanding, routing and shop cleanup. I've emptied the bucket at least twice since I emptied the Fein, here's what's in it:

If you use filter bags they'll last forever(or it seems like) as long as you don't forget to plug in the DD and hook something up straight to the vac. I'm absolutely amazed at how much really fine dust it manages to catch.

And yes, it's a PITA to haul around. I finally figured out a place to put it so my hoses will reach from almost anywhere I'm working(small shop). Eventually I'll build a stand a cart for it, the Fein and the hoses. Ont thing you'll probably want to do is use the "double-bucket" trick, put a couple of bricks or some sand in the extra bucket and set the working bucket on top. Until it gets about halfway full, the thing is top heavy and subject to tip. And if it falls over you've got a BIG mess! Don't ask how I know this.....:unsure:

Good enough?

Bill

I just purchased a Fein Turbo II and am trying to mate it to a Dust Deputy that I have had for several years. The hose between your Fein and Dust Deputy is much larger that what I received. Was your hose Fein original equipment or after market? What was the source of the fittings you used?

26 minutes ago, Ben Blackwell said:

I just purchased a Fein Turbo II and am trying to mate it to a Dust Deputy that I have had for several years. The hose between your Fein and Dust Deputy is much larger that what I received. Was your hose Fein original equipment or after market? What was the source of the fittings you used?

Ben,

If i remember(and that's saying a lot) I just bought a standard shop vac hose (8'?? 12'??) from the Homeless Despot or maybe Lowes and cut it to length. It takes some knife work to get the fitting out of the hose but then it just screws into the piece you want to use. The 90-degree ell came from Incra https://www.incrementaltools.com/PARTS_INCRA_Wonder_Fence_p/pc-wonderfence.htm, part 9 in the illustration.

Enjoy the Fien!

Best,

Bill

I have not actually used the Fein as I am trying to get the Dust Deputy (DD) connections made before actually using it. I am building a cart for the Fein/DD from plans published in Woodsmith 2012. Frankly, I am disappointed in the quality of the Fein accessories: 1) plastic wand that connects the hose to the metal pipe for a floor sweep takes two people to disconnect; 2) the fitting that connects the 1 1/4" hose that came with the Fein requires two people and two screw drivers to remove it; 3) the 1 1/4" hose seems very undersized. unless you are connecting to a small tool.  So much for German engineering.

I have a new 2 1/2" hose for my 30-40 year old Craftsman vac and the two ends allow connecting the Fein to the DD. However it is too long. I guess I will take your suggestion and cut this hose to length and try to reinstall one of the end fittings. Thanks for that suggestion.

Once the Fein/DD combo is working, i think I will like it.

On 3/2/2011 at 3:25 PM, BuilderBill said:

Good enough?

Bill

Bill,

Those Turbo II's are a great vacuum and I think they get overlooked with all the love for things made in green :)  Nice set up!

John