Domino Tenon Location Jig

Coop

I'm Interested. I always use scraps. So you just have the apron piece and the main piece hanging around to see what the reveal is going to be each time?

Do you ever use the scale on the fence of the tool? When ever I need to set a reveal i just use that converting from inches to mm obviously.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I'm Interested. I always use scraps. So you just have the apron piece and the main piece hanging around to see what the reveal is going to be each time?

Do you ever use the scale on the fence of the tool? When ever I need to set a reveal i just use that converting from inches to mm obviously.

Yeah, but I just made it so have not gotten to use it yet. The apron sample is 3/4” and the mortises, one on each end for the two size tenons, are cut at #20 setting which is close to center. I even marked at what depth the mortise needs to be for both sizes, in most cases. 

I’ve used the scale one time and that was the reason for making it. On my last project, I realized that I had forgotten to cut the mortise on the end of one apron board and I had already thrown away my scrap test pieces. So in my haste, I used the scale and went the wrong way and almost cut into my work bench. I always use the top of the board to reference my cuts and not my bench. I don’t know if that’s right or wrong but what I’ve grown accustomed to. 

Yeah that's a good point about messing the scale up. It's half of the stops of the side it is confusing.

I also find it impossible to match a setting if i don't use one of the stops. So If i forget a part and have to go back and the fence is changed I'm screwed. Ideally i have every part cut and laid out before i run mortises just in case I miss something.

I think I'm going to make this block it's a great idea. I have a project where i just made it up on the fly and didn't get as much reveal as I wanted. Thanks Coop and Chet!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...