New blade brake technology

drzaius

Has anyone seen ads for Saw Shield? It's a retrofit kit for band saw or table saw that use skin sensing tech that doesn't require skin to actually touch the blade. that engages a blade brake cartridge that sacrificial but doesn't damage the blade. No further details on the tech at this time. They are in the pre-order stage with delivery to be in early 2021.

It looks intriguing, but being a start up, who knows when it will happen or how well it works.

Seems like vaporware to me.  They won't show a picture of what it actually is, supposedly because of patent applications.  Patents go to first to file so if they've filed for patents then they have nothing to worry about.  If they haven't even filed for a patent yet then how are they thinking they are shipping final product in a few months?   It sounds like it mounts where a riving knife would go but the blade drops slightly when it activates.  How is something that mounts in an hour or two affecting the height of the blade?  I'm highly skeptical.

I still think it's too bad that Bosch got blocked I think their method was far better than the hotdog company. The felder tech is interesting as well though even more pricey.

The website doesn't work so I can't make any judgements on this system. Though I will say i don't understand bandsaw flesh detection... I agree that band saws are dangerous i just don't think they really warrant a technology like this. Maybe for the meat cutting industry but IIRC they already have some tech there that is pretty clever.

Certainly interesting.  Seems similar to Felder's in as much as it detects proximity rather than contact.  I would need a deeper understanding of how it works and the consequences of a trigger before I'd plunk down some money, but I'm interested to see more about the product.  

It is interesting and I hope this comes to something, but I certainly would not be placing any pre-orders. Anyone can set up a website & have good intentions.

The meat cutting detection I read about has the operator wearing gloves of a specific color & cameras to detect when the glove gets within a set distance of the blade to trigger the brake.

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

The best part of this new upstart is that their demo video uses bratwurst instead of hot dogs.

SS probably has a patent on using hot dogs as test subjects :lol:

Seems like this is more in the “kickstarter” phase than preorder. No claims regarding potential damage to your tool. I’ll be interested to see how it stops the blade fast enough without putting excess stress on the tool. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I agree that band saws are dangerous i just don't think they really warrant a technology like this. Maybe for the meat cutting industry but IIRC they already have some tech there that is pretty clever.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say cutting flesh is kind of the point of using a bandsaw in the meat cutting industry...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1