Small Conoid Table

Chestnut

Super job and looking great, I'm sure Nakashima is not rolling over in his grave, your doing him proud with this one.

Love my air dried walnut, so dark and rich, it's one wood that kiln drying and steaming can really mess up. Unfortunately those dark rich colors do mellow out some, but you still get a depth and look with air dried that is superior.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks great, Drew! Its almost hard to believe the uprights and lower beam are the same species, but I've had the same experience with air-dried vs. kiln+steamed walnut.

8 hours ago, Bmac said:

Super job and looking great, I'm sure Nakashima is not rolling over in his grave, your doing him proud with this one.

Love my air dried walnut, so dark and rich, it's one wood that kiln drying and steaming can really mess up. Unfortunately those dark rich colors do mellow out some, but you still get a depth and look with air dried that is superior.

It is kiln dried it's just not steamed during the kiln process which is more typical for walnut to darken the sap wood.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

It is kiln dried it's just not steamed during the kiln process which is more typical for walnut to darken the sap wood.

Yeah I understood that, I mentioned steaming but I guess it seemed like I was comparing kiln dried to air dried. But I do believe you get that little extra depth of color with air dried over kiln dried (without steaming), but not nearly as stark as the difference when you steam it.

Steaming walnut should be against the law, just leave the sapwood, it can be very attractive in walnut.

Looking forward to seeing this table with the top on it.

• Like 1