1"x48" belt on a 6"x48" belt sander

PacificGuy

Not sure if this question has been asked, so sorry if it has. If I have a 6"x48" belt sander, is it possible or even advisable to put a 1"x48" belt on it when I need it? I can buy the belts, but not sure if it is supported on the sander or if people do that. I don't want to buy multiple sanders. I plan to get the JET JSG-6DC.  Thoughts?  Thank you.

The reason you would want a 1" belt instead of a 6" is to fit somewhere the 6" won't.  But the 6x48 sander is going to have a 6" wide platen behind it so that's not going to help you.  A 1" sander usually doesn't have all that structure behind it so you can do some slack belt kind of work without a platen.  Putting a 1" belt on a 6" sander isn't going to make it a 1" sander.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I remove the platen when using it with 1" belt then that should work, right? The platen doesn't aid in tracking. I see your point that just putting a 1" on a 6" sander does not make it a 1". At least with the type of sanding I would be doing, which you guessed at. I would need the platen gone for 1". I will check if the platen can be removed from the model I'm planning to get. Sale ends in two days. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I see no reason you CAN'T do this, but even without the platten, that style machine has structure that won't allow full use of the 1" belt, like a 3-wheel strip sander does. 

You are right, highlander. Maybe I'm approaching the problem wrong. Trying to justify the larger sander, but knowing I'll sometimes need a smaller sander too. Hmmmm. Thanks for the advise.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

@krtwoodnailed in his comment above. The three-wheel design of those narrow strip sanders let's you work curves and rounded areas with the 'slack' part of the belt, above the small platten they typically have.

I had not thought of the three-wheel design but that might be what I'm looking for. I am looking to sand smaller parts with a smaller flexible machine sander. Thank you for the advice. The more I look at the 6" sander I'm realizing it will not do what I need. It is great for other things, and I might get one.

• Like 1

Idk your capabilities but buy the big sander and build a 1" strip sander. The plans and videos that Mattias Wandel (www.woodgears.ca) puts out are quite good. I made a 1" x 42" strip sander for all of $20. Took me 2ish days. Ok i guess i had the skate board bearings and shaft which would add another $20 to the cost.

1017201912a-01.thumb.jpeg.b08c9fdf26ff5c66e8184a17de8efaa2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Or the Rockler Sanding Bow might address some of your needs.

I have been eyeing the bow sander that has been on sale. Maybe I'll try that first before building or buying a 1" machine sander.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Idk your capabilities but buy the big sander and build a 1" strip sander. The plans and videos that Mattias Wandel (www.woodgears.ca) puts out are quite good. I made a 1" x 42" strip sander for all of $20. Took me 2ish days. Ok i guess i had the skate board bearings and shaft which would add another $20 to the cost.

This is impressive. I'll save the design for later use. Thank you for sharing.

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

And motor.

30 minutes ago, B1rdhunter said:

And motor.

Those are really easy to get for free., Dishwasher cloths dryer, furnace motor. There are a lot of options, with a little looking they can be found pretty easily. It doesn't take much power to run a small sander like this.

The motor i used I got for free from a recycling spot.

• Thanks 1