What Size Shoulder Plane?

TomInNC

Killing time during a Zoom meeting while browsing the LN site. I don't have a shoulder plane yet, and I am trying to figure out what size I should start with. I would primarily use the plane for cleaning up tenons. The LN site suggests getting the large shoulder plane to start. When I looked at a few of the videos, though, the large plane looks absolutely massive when compared with the small and medium. Is the large plane difficult to use on the typical tenons you would use for, say, building a table? For what it's worth I have relatively large hands, so I'm less concerned about my ability to hold it than I am how well the plane would lay on a small shoulder.

You can find smaller old Stanley clones quite easily for cheaper. They are easy to tune. I have never wanted larger than the medium, but I keep both rabetting block planes and a rabetting coach plane. 

To clarify, I personally would recommend the medium. 

This comes up frequently.  If I could only have one I would go medium (about 3/4") but, I really love my large.  Both are Veritas which I find easier to hold and control.  That doesn't mean they are the "best".  They just work best for me ;-)  Some people find the grip awkward.

LV-Med-Shoulder-Grip-001.jpg.b46666feb0cc51ef7ae4f0742858fd21.jpg

LV-Med-Shoulder-Grip-002.jpg.a68b0df618b18b9bab136449cf7f18cc.jpg

For me it is ambidextrous and falls right into my hand.

• Like 2

I have the LN medium and large. The large is about 60% heavier than the medium one, so yes, big difference. I prefer to use the large one whenever possible.

If you're using them upright, for tasks other than cleaning shoulders, they're not the easiest planes to use... I think the Veritas shoulder planes have better ergonomics.

2 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

No. All tools were available for ordering. If the tool was not in stock, they would send you an email with the estimated delivery time and give you the option to remove that tool from your order or just wait.

Ok. Thanks. I made the plunge into hand tools last March. Bad timing I suppose.

8 hours ago, gee-dub said:

This comes up frequently.  If I could only have one I would go medium (about 3/4") but, I really love my large.  Both are Veritas which I find easier to hold and control.  That doesn't mean they are the "best".  They just work best for me ;-)  Some people find the grip awkward.

LV-Med-Shoulder-Grip-001.jpg.b46666feb0cc51ef7ae4f0742858fd21.jpg

LV-Med-Shoulder-Grip-002.jpg.a68b0df618b18b9bab136449cf7f18cc.jpg

For me it is ambidextrous and falls right into my hand.

I couldn't have said it better so I will just agree with gee-dub

3/4 or 1" are the best to start with as they are easy to handle and keep square to the workpiece. I have a couple of Stanleys and they are fine. Then graduate to a smaller one say 1/4" or 1/2" for smaller work. I have a Sheffield UK 1/4" Clifton 400 Shoulder/Rebate/Rabbet plane and it is really good.

• Like 1