Need help removing cutter head on Delta 22-590 planer

rkrueger

I finally took the leap and got myself a Shelix cutter head for my trusty Delta 22-590. It arrives Wednesday, so I decided I'd get the original cutter head removed today in preparation.

I thought there'd be at least one instruction set or video out that that covered this, but I'll be damned if I can't find a single thread or video that covers this. I've torn the thing down to about as far as I can go and I'm not sure what else I need to do to get this cutter head out.

I took a few pictures, but not sure how helpful that would be in trying to figure this out. I can post them and work from there, but I figure I'd see if anyone out there done this with this planer before? Or perhaps is aware of a resource that covers it. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20210712_003254573.jpg

PXL_20210712_003805500.jpg

PXL_20210712_003808641.jpg

PXL_20210712_003812850.jpg

PXL_20210712_003817191.jpg

PXL_20210712_003823790.jpg

Edited by rkrueger
spelling

On 7/12/2021 at 10:42 PM, Just Bob said:

Shelix included written instructions for my Dewalt.  They may do the same for you.  If not contact them and see if they have info or ideas for you.

Only thing in the box was a paper that tells you how to rotate or replace the inserts, and a link to installation instructions:  https://www.byrdtool.com/tech-corner

There is not one specific to my planer, unfortunately.

On 7/12/2021 at 10:47 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I would suggest that you start by removing the pulley on the end of the cutter head. May require a puller, you can often rent or borrow those from auto supply stores. That should reveal what comes off next.

I'll try the pulley first and see what I see. It will need to come off to put on the new head anyway

What does the drive side of the Shelix head look like?  I expect the first thing you're going to need is a pair of snap ring pliers.  Looks like only the one doubled pair of chain sprockets will need to come off, but I could tell better if it was in front of me.

Some more disassembly required.

Pictures like this, of every step, will be worthwhile.   At least everything is easy to get to, and not too dirty.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:11 PM, Tom King said:

What does the drive side of the Shelix head look like?  I expect the first thing you're going to need is a pair of snap ring pliers.  Looks like only the one doubled pair of chain sprockets will need to come off, but I could tell better if it was in front of me.

Some more disassembly required.

Pictures like this, of every step, will be worthwhile.   At least everything is easy to get to, and not too dirty.

I did buy some snap ring pliers ahead of time just in case. Here are both ends of the Shelix head since I'm not sure which is the drive side :unsure:

I also took the bolt off of the pulley and it looks like there's a nut that I can unscrew, but I don't have a big enough socket for it right now. 

PXL_20210713_233645445.jpeg

PXL_20210713_233745559.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:08 PM, Just Bob said:

Don't know if this will help, and you probably have one, but ereplacements has an exploded parts diagram that might be of use.

It does help, and it will certainly help when I put it back together. It appears I would have to lift the entire carriage off the posts. I tried raising to the top and lifting it, but it didn't really budge. I may need a second person to help.

Have you removed anything from the non-driven end of the head yet? It looks like there is a gear on that end, which drives the pressure rollers. I'm sure it will need to come off before the head can be extracted. And it appears you are correct, the head assembly should be lifted off the posts for the head itself to clear those two flat bars rising on either side of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you been able to run any boards through the upgraded machine yet!  I got one for my DeWalt sometime ago and it made a huge difference in the noise level, quality of cut, and ease at changing blades. Best part in my opinion is you also don’t have to worry about setting and aligning the knife height like you do on the fixed blade. I feel your pain on the install!  There were lots of videos luckily for the DeWalt but it was still a bear to walk through all of the steps. Happy Milling!