Shorts Control

gee-dub

Well organized which is the gee-dub style. Keeping the shorts is a luxury that is a good idea when you have lots of space. Due to my limited space, even though I recently built storage space 12 x15, I still give away or burn. Like many, I do not have enough space. So all real shorts must go. And longer shorts of quality only are kept. I think you know you have enough space if you can save any short that strikes your fancy.

Have any wisdom for someone that might want to make a shorts storage unit that would fit under a table saw wing? I don't have as many shorts as you but i have enough scattered around the shop that it'd be nice to consolidate them.

I'm surprised you keep that m,any small pieces around that long. They disappear in my shop. I usually have a good amount of small projects that can eat up shorts fast. I also tend to work with limited species so it's easier to bring shorts in for smaller project parts.

On 10/25/2021 at 12:22 PM, Robby W said:

Am I the only person that doesn't like to throw out shorts and small pieces because as soon as I do, I need a piece that size and have to cut it from something larger? Seems to especially apply to small pieces of plywood.

This seems to hold true for many "valuable" pieces of odds-n-ends I keep around.  After 8 years I will finally toss those old fan belts.  Once the trash truck leaves I will undoubtedly find a use for a small section of high density rubber.  Fearing this occurrence is how hoarders are made.  Fear it enough and you end up on a reality show :D.

I have watched my dad haul a ton of stuff from one house to another.  Items he has had for literally 40 years.  Finally at 96 he realizes that he will probably never get around to making that combination squirrel cage blower / egg scrambler and has started to give things away or toss them.  I am trying to embrace the tossing stage earlier in life.

When it comes to controlling shorts I limit myself by allowing a finite space for them.  If I really want that piece of red oak I will have to gt rid of something else to make room.  This has been working for me in general.  Every now and then (like now) I have to dump the bin and make some hard choices.  In general it is self regulating.

On 10/25/2021 at 2:22 PM, Robby W said:

Am I the only person that doesn't like to throw out shorts and small pieces because as soon as I do, I need a piece that size and have to cut it from something larger? Seems to especially apply to small pieces of plywood.

I don't often regret plywood scraps, once they get below 1 sq ft they are pretty unusable. If they are that small and i find a need i can always find a piece in the scrap bin before it meets it's fiery end.

That said I never throw any hardwood scraps they almost all get used. The use case for pieces to small is BBQ or recreational fire starting. This also applies to hand plane shavings and sawdust. It all gets used on my property one way or another.

• Like 1