Modern End Tables

Chestnut

Nice design so far. 

Are the drawer fronts going to be maple or walnut?

On 12/21/2021 at 10:18 AM, Chestnut said:

My wagon vise is still absent from my bench, motivation is low to buy it.

I purchased the Veritas Inset Vise as an inexpensive solution until I saved the money for a tail vise, but I have been happy enough with it that I think it is all I will ever have.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Chet said:

Are the drawer fronts going to be maple or walnut?

Birds eye maple. I'm going to use the material i bought in Maine while on vacation.

56 minutes ago, Chet said:

I purchased the Veritas Inset Vise as an inexpensive solution until I saved the money for a tail vise, but I have been happy enough with it that I think it is all I will ever have.

It's not even the money aspect. I just haven't felt like I needed it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Now is when I'd show my design but I didn't create one and have just been making everything up as I go along.

The thought of this had me breaking out in a shaking cold sweat :lol:.   

And I can't believe what you can get done in a few days.  Nice work. What are you gonna do when this house fills up, which at your rate will be next sometime next year.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mark J said:

What are you gonna do when this house fills up, which at your rate will be next sometime next year.  

I feel like there are plenty of projects left. Once I'm done I'm going to offer to make things for close family. That may push me a bit more cause I'm sure I'll get design requests for styles I don't necessarily like. I'm excited for it.

2 hours ago, Bmac said:

That wiggly mortise making thingy is pretty nice isn't it!

It makes quick work of various sized mortises. I haven't touched factory made tenon stock in quite a long time aside from the 4mm size.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark J said:

What are you gonna do when this house fills up, which at your rate will be next sometime next year.  

Hey, styles and tastes change! I'm sure @Chestnutwill get plenty of requests in the future, for pieces that replace stuff he made in the past. Who would let a little thing like a house full of perfectly good furniture stop them? :D

• Haha 2

On 12/22/2021 at 6:04 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Who would let a little thing like a house full of perfectly good furniture stop them? 

Finishing our master bedroom set a few months back put us at that threshold.  My wife was asking what I was going to do now that the house is full.  I guess  I will start filling our two daughters houses. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Matching coffee table in the future?  

I got the go a head to make something Nakashima inspired. So the coffee table will be a bit different but similar. Instead of live edge slab i'm going to do some sort of oval though. I'm not a huge fan of the live edge slab stuff.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chet said:

Those came out real nice Drew, well done.  Are you thinking the same combination on the coffee table maple top and walnut base?

Megan floated the idea to make the top Walnut and the base Maple to add some depth to the other furniture in the room. We have a bookshelf thing planed as well that will be a maple case with walnut accents.

• Like 1

Drew, I suggest mocking up something with that color contrast before committing to it. Dark on the base can visually 'lower' the piece, or enhance the floating effect, but the reverse is not always true. To my eye, a light base and dark top tends to appear disproportionate.

But that is a totally subjective opinion.

• Like 1