Star Spangled Banner

Coop

It's a shame schools have changed so much since I was in Elementary and High School (1956 to 1968).  Now I know that history might carry more weight in Virginia than a lot of newer States, but we had that drummed into us from probably the 5th Grade on up.  I can't say the number of times teachers in different grades went over that with us, and I'm sure I gave a report on it probably more than once.

Also, every morning, from 1st Grade through graduating High School everyone stood with their hands on their heart, and pledged allegiance to the flag.

The commentator in that video looked like it was the first time he'd heard that history.  It made me wonder how much American History he'd ever heard or read.

These days, most who claim to be Patriots are at the other extreme.  I don't trust anyone who wears that self appointed badge on their sleeves.  I have known some real ones.

• Like 2

Any version of history varies some depending on who wrote it.   That quote has been claimed by a lot of different people from Greeks to Spanish.

There was a play, Cato, or something like that, that many quotes came out of.  That might have been one of them.  It is claimed by some historians that the men at Valley Forge put it on to entertain themselves, but that wasn't written down anywhere back then.  It was very popular around the time of the Revolution.

One quote I remember from it is: "I regret that I have only one life to give...."

I'm not downplaying the significance of the history at all, but it's a REally Big flag, and doubtful it was held up only by men, dead or alive.

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/flag-day/banner-facts

The Smithsonian still has it.

Every Historian I've heard talk embellishes the story told.  This was an important story though.

This looks like a pretty legit account:

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/separating-fact-from-fiction-about-the-star-spangled-banner

This is pretty good too.    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/war-1812/battles/fort-mchenry#:~:text=In the early morning of,Meteor%2C Devastation%2C and Aetna.

of particular interest in that last link is the list of casualties:

UNITED STATES
4 killed
24 wounded
0 missing & captured
ESTIMATED CASUALTIES
UNITED STATES

UNITED KINGDOM
UNITED KINGDOM
0 killed
1 wounded
0 missing & captured

Those two link examples posted above are pretty typical of written history.  I thought it funny that in the first link it said Key as likely 6 to 8 miles away, and then on a map in the second link it showed that he was 2-1/2 miles away.  I've found with history, you have to read several books on any particular event/subject to get a fairly clear picture.  I wish we'd had the internet when I was in school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1