Shop Door Width?

Mark J

Corollary to the ceiling height question.

For those in basement workshops, how wide is the door to your shop that you have to use to get equipment in and out?  We're looking at other houses and I'm finding doorways can be as little as 29" (30 if you take the door off).   

On 8/16/2022 at 6:01 PM, JohnG said:

I’ll measure tonight but I think the exterior mandoor is 32” and then in the next section of the basement I have a double door. The doorway between sections is somewhere around 42”

Yep, I have a 32” exterior door, 32” interior door to upstairs, then an exterior double door (2x36”) in the other section of my basement. 

I'm less concerned with the door to the shop and more concerned with every door leading to the shop. A double 36" door to my shop would still leave me stuck as the stairway leading to my shop is far more restrictive than even a 30" door. That said there are few hobby level tools that won't fit through a 30" door. Disassembly and reassembly is included in that statement. I had to disassemble both my table saw. parallelogram jointer, and 15" planer to get them in my shop.