TV Side Table

gee-dub

... Just don't call me anything obscene or Late to dinner. B)

Looking forward to watching this.

That nice straight grain in the legs is beautiful.  I wish I could find walnut like that around here.  My hardwood dealer always looks like it is going out of business for the last year.

On 8/29/2022 at 7:18 AM, gee-dub said:

If things go as planned I will through dovetail the drawer box and laminate the veneer to the front to simulate half-blinds at the front of the drawer.

Thats a cool work around to half blind dovetails.

To clean up machine marks on tapered legs I use a hand plane.  I use a strike line before I make the taper at the tablesaw or bandsaw.  Then I plane the flat surface and the tapered surface. 

1534327954_TVSideTable(73).thumb.jpg.730c74a21425f9a83fbcd5421f6ec4ea.jpg

Each gets a few strokes until the strike line disappears.

1884443272_TVSideTable(74).thumb.jpg.2a402a8391947681dd896eb4887e6260.jpg

This give me a well defined direction change when there is no cove, bead, or banding to demarcate the change.  I chamfer the leg tips to avoid snagging.

863974478_TVSideTable(75).thumb.jpg.8328ced278f2f03e9ceb963bb5a6a02c.jpg

I cut each edge most of one direction and then come back from the other end to finish the cut.

1560397940_TVSideTable(76).thumb.jpg.2a962bcad123e6c6d73d998a4ae32b74.jpg

The prepared leg on the left doesn't look all that different from the machined leg on the right . . . till the finish hits :)

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, Chet said:

I have looked at bow sanders off and on.  Yours looks like the smaller one from Lee Valley.  Is that size the only one you have?  When I look at the Lee Valley ones the smaller seems more useful.

That is the only one I have.  My thinking was that when I am doing large shaped forms like a Maloof knock-off I am removing large amounts of material and would use a rasp.  I use rasps for smaller work too but did not see myself using something like the bow sander for things of a large scale.  So far . . . for me . . . that decision has worked out.

Time for glue ups finally.  I always do a dry run.  This let's me know that I would really prefer this clamp over that one for this purpose and so forth before there is glue in the mix.

617660389_TVSideTable(85).thumb.jpg.187a828029285f24e6b3ade03eead266.jpg

I position the sub assemblies so that the surface against the table is on a flat plane (avoid the tapered legs, that is).  Once clamped up I remove the square blocks that I used to raise the Bessey K-Body so that the bar was in line with the side board.  This lets the full flat face of the legs rest against the reference surface of the table.

1925497133_TVSideTable(86).thumb.jpg.6b6ad6515fc6a804aa01b4787c5b3a2a.jpg

The clamping squares are really just a token effort here.  Things clamped up nicely but I am a belt and suspenders kinda guy.  I'll give the TB-III an hour or so to get a grip and come back.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 9:25 AM, Chet said:

... Just don't call me anything obscene or Late to dinner. B)

Looking forward to watching this.

That nice straight grain in the legs is beautiful.  I wish I could find walnut like that around here.  My hardwood dealer always looks like it is going out of business for the last year.

I have one like that near me.  I would find the same sappy walnut in the racks week after week.  No one was buying it and they were not refreshing their stock.  Turned out the yard near me was the red-headed-step-child of a much larger yard in Anaheim.  All the flooring stock went to Los Angeles, Anaheim kept the good 'lumber' and the dregs went to my yard.  I haven't been there in many years.  Maybe they got better.