Rough day starting

Tom King

Yeah, I'm sure it's way hotter than normal somewhere, but dealing with unusually severe cold here is a bigger news story.

I'm sorry for all the people stuck in their cars in Buffalo.  I heard there was an Impossible Travel Conditions Alert, and someone asked what did that mean.

Science doesn't care what you believe.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mark J said:

I wonder how things are going for the Indiana wind farms?

Common misconception, they usually end up producing less in high winds as the gusts are dangerous. Like Tom mentioned they feather the blades out. Best wind speed for production is between 7 ad 10 mph. At least it is for the farms that my dad worked on.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Common misconception, they usually end up producing less in high winds as the gusts are dangerous. Like Tom mentioned they feather the blades out. Best wind speed for production is between 7 ad 10 mph. At least it is for the farms that my dad worked on.

Actually no misconception, at least on my part.  I was actually wondering if feathering the blades was enough given the combination of wind speed, shifting direction and bitter cold.  Even feathered there's still a lot of blade area.  I'm sure the engineering has taken all this into account, though.  I was just curious. 

I live in the TVA service area. Not only were large industrial facilities required to reduce load (my employer, a steel mill,had to drop to 5% of operating load), but distributers were asked to implement rolling blackouts (we had 2 of 15 minutes each this morning), but the Titans / Texans football game in Nashville was delayed by an hour because of power shortages. It is very rare that conditions cause demand to exceed the generating capacity of the TVA system, unless a major facility is offline.  

I can only imagine how crazy it will be if the majority of vehicles become plug-in electrics. Probably start looking like this:

bicycles7.thumb.jpg.4e5d160e0bfb014f918b7e8b88c2a2f8.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1