Mounting Jet air filter to drop ceiling

Jfitz

I have a new shop space in a newly built house.  The shop space has a drop ceiling (a 'usual' drop ceiling, with 2'x2' panels).

Has anyone attached a Jet air cleaner (AFS 1000B) to a drop ceiling, or to the joists above?  Just wondering what people might have done or seen.  The unit is about 54lbs (according to the manual), so I'm hesitant to attach it only to the metal grid.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:31 PM, Tom King said:

It needs more support than the ceiling grid.

I'm starting under that assumption.  I guess I'm looking for what others might have done.

I'm thinking one of two approaches:

- mount it directly to the grid, but then also connect the grid at that point directly to the joist/subfloor above.

- Skip the tile and grid entirely, and run the chain through a small hole in the panels to a connection on the joist.

I'm also thinking about the connection to the unit itself. I could use the eyebolts connected directly to the unit itself, or drop the supports from the ceiling (or joists) long enough so I can run some angle iron or some other material side to side, and then just slide/place the unit on those supports.

Hang it without whatever panels are in the way out of the grid.  Measure where the chains are relative to the grid.  Cut holes with a holesaw through the panels that the chain will pass through.  If a hole is not perfectly in line it will get grooved out to fit on its own, and won't look the best.

• Like 2

I would use eyes into the joists and then drill holes in the ceiling tiles for the chains. Not a great pic but you can see that's how mine are mounted with the difference being yours would run through the ceiling tiles. FYI if you want a better pic let me know this was the only one I could find without running out to the shop :)

7.jpg.788f1eb4921c6b58d68884132e440a82.jpg

On 1/5/2023 at 4:39 PM, pkinneb said:

I would use eyes into the joists and then drill holes in the ceiling tiles for the chains. Not a great pic but you can see that's how mine are mounted with the difference being yours would run through the ceiling tiles. FYI if you want a better pic let me know this was the only one I could find without running out to the shop :)

Thanks!  Key theme here is positive mechanical support from the joists above.  I like Tom's idea of just removing the panels, mounting it as desired, and then marking where to drill small holes for the support chains.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark J said:

You've got a good plan, but as an alternative you can turn it on its side and mount it to the upper wall (into studs).

I found this picture from a long time ago when my shop had little in it, and I thought I had all the space I would ever want :o.  But it does show the air filter on the stud wall.

20171219_130204.thumb.jpg.cbbbb445fc23aa2f5d5d00854c0bf3ed.jpg

(No idea why that came out so small and mirror flipped).

My JDS (close cousin) hangs from 1/4" eye screws into 2x6 material above the drywall ceiling.  For a drop ceiling I would just cut notches for cables or chain to pass between eye screws into dimensional lumber above and the unit below.  there will be some movement so I wold cut the notches (or holes if you are patient) a bit over sized to avoid operational damage to the tile(s).

On 1/5/2023 at 11:54 PM, Mark J said:

You've got a good plan, but as an alternative you can turn it on its side and mount it to the upper wall (into studs).

yeah, I was considering that too.  I have not planned out wall space yet (tools, cabinets, etc) and the ceiling seems like "free" space.  Plus I had the electrician put an outlet up there so I feel like I have to use it :)

• Like 1