Marking Stud Locations

Mark J

Well, I'd say "simply smart".  I see your marks on the floor, but don't see your marks at the top of the wall, did they get covered up?

The new shop space is going to have drywall on the ceiling as well as the walls.  Any ideas on marking the position of the joists?

The drywall guys should put up the ceiling first, you could go in behind them and mark before the walls go up, but then you’ll need to figure out something when the painters come through. Having the bottom marked should be good, but having the top marked also would be safest. 

Similarly to marking the studs, take pictures of the walls after framing, electrical, and plumbing are done. That way you have a good idea of where electric and plumbing are to avoid driving a screw into them, and where additional blocking might be if you’re hanging something heavy. 

• Like 1

Ideally I'll have the electrical surface mounted (that way it's easier to make changes in years to come).  Photos is an excellent advice.  Adding some blocking is a good idea, too.  Wonder what that would add to the cost.

On 5/25/2023 at 12:57 PM, gee-dub said:

My method was stupid simple. I used a permanent marker and put a small dash on the slab at the base of the wall and at the top of the wall to indicate the stud position.

These marks seem visually obvious when everything is pristine and new, but, you do not even notice them once you have things mounted to the wall and random items installed in the shop.  However, a year later, when you’re wondering where that stud is these little marks come in handy. 

I also marked things like HVAC drain or line-set positions, ground bar locations, data-comm conduit risers and so forth.  Another thing I did was to take systematic photos of the open walls prior to putting up drywall . . .

Mclaren-Shop-North-Wall-2.thumb.JPG.b71f7e53fd2981754a6e8050e116b2a9.JPG

Mclaren-Shop-North-Wall-3.thumb.JPG.42a3cb0193abb0f96fbc92f5c0d6dfb7.JPG

Mclaren-Shop-North-Wall-4.thumb.JPG.68bc47578ca9b95bd5a0cc7bc412c04a.JPG

Mclaren-Shop-North-Wall-5.thumb.JPG.fe1807bec9ad169a2189ea13228c8dc7.JPG

These have come in so handy years afterwards when I am about to mount something or pierce a wall area.

This was my solution as well. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:38 PM, pkinneb said:

I used a permanent marker and put a small dash on the slab at the base of the wall and at the top of the wall to indicate the stud position.

I've done that before as well. It works - as long as the marks are not covered, as was pointed out.

I usually use a stud finder <insert pointing-at-myself joke here>, and it works OK unless there are other items behind the wall that confuse it. 

I learned a trick from our finish carpenter for the house we just built.  He had a little doo-dad which was really no more than a magnet. So now I use small disc rare earth magnets (like you use for door catches, etc) to find the drywall screws.  Then I just put a piece of blue tape up and mark the stud location that way.  When I am done, I remove the tape.  I have not missed a stud yet.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 1:48 PM, Mark J said:

Well, I'd say "simply smart".  I see your marks on the floor, but don't see your marks at the top of the wall, did they get covered up?

The new shop space is going to have drywall on the ceiling as well as the walls.  Any ideas on marking the position of the joists?

A small dimple with an awl would do the trick and could be re-dotted after the paint goes on.  Studs are not super straight so these marks just get you in the ball park if you are looking to hit a stud with a fastener at mid-height.  I have found this stud finder to be the most useful and reliable.  Like a lot of folks, I have had my share of unreliable stud sensors.  I'm sure there are other good ones but this one has been a winner for me.

• Like 1

gee-dub, with good health and a long life your shop building will probably out last you. A precious gift to the next owner would be some notes and/or diagrams about the building. Include a link from here on your shop build. In my mind you shop is special and worthy as part of your legacy...

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:48 AM, Jfitz said:

So now I use small disc rare earth magnets (like you use for door catches, etc) to find the drywall screws.  Then I just put a piece of blue tape up and mark the stud location that way.  When I am done, I remove the tape.  I have not missed a stud yet.

This is my favorite method to find studs but it isn't perfect.

I have wood walls in my shop and to make sure I knew what was inside the wall I just wrote on the wood and marked everything out. I did it in pencil so it's not extremely obvious but it's very helpful.

• Like 2