SPACE BALLS

While looking at the Rockler e-catalog I ran into an item I’m unfamiliar with. “Space Balls” seem to make sense to me, but I have never heard of them before. Have you used them, & if so, what did you think of them? I’m tempted to try them, but before buying, I’d like to hear from others that have used them. Thanks

I know lots of folks use them. But you can essentially make your own by squeezing out a line of caulk and chopping it up into little boogers after it dries. The idea is to take up the extra space with something solid but very flexible.

Oh man, I am totally going to do a bunch of that, put them in little baggies and sell them as a competing product.

Who needs Space Balls when you can use Caulk Boogers?

Man it's been a long time since I've seen that movie! As far as the product goes, I never use. I simply glue about an inch of the center of the panel to the rail. This allows the panel to still expand and contract but keeps it centered and eliminates any rattle. Either way will work just fine.

Nate

I've done tons of raised panel doors in my life and I have to say Nate's method works just fine. The Spaceballs are also effective. Never tried caulk boogers but seems perfectly logical.

By the way, I loved Spaceballs and Young Frankenstien, but I'm partial to Blazin' Saddles. Now somebody's going to have to go back and get a $#!+ load of dimes!

While looking at the Rockler e-catalog I ran into an item I’m unfamiliar with. “Space Balls” seem to make sense to me, but I have never heard of them before. Have you used them, & if so, what did you think of them? I’m tempted to try them, but before buying, I’d like to hear from others that have used them. Thanks

LeeValley also sells them except they call 'em "Panel Barrels". Not as cool sounding as "Space Balls". Someone should contact their marketing department.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=58675&cat=1250

I've got a tube of caulk to use up... I think I'm going to be busy this afternoon. Anything in particular to lay the caulk out on, or just something that can be scraped up?

As for movies, I'm kind of particular to _Robin Hood, Men in Tights_, and the remake of _The Producers_. (then again, both movies involved a date night with my wife, so that might explain it.)

Caulk Boogers. If I can make it instead of buy it, I'm in.

This thread has my vote for one of the best in the "Movie Quotes" category.

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."