Saloon or Batwing doors

tlpmap

Welcome, @tlpmap!

I have no existing plans to offer, but 'saloon' style doors can range from super-simple to extrordinarily ornate. I would personally start by choosing the type of hinge I wanted, as that will inform some dimension of the door panels.

Tried doing an image search to look for a style that you like?

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 11:37 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Feel free to toss around any ideas that you feel could use a critique. There are several very knowledgeable folks here that can really provide some useful assistance with almost any design challenge.

Once I finish my design drawing I just might post it for any improvement ideas.

• Like 2

I think the real issue is what you/your daughter want the doors to look like. Construction-wise, most of the saloon doors I see online look like just basic rail-and-stile doors. In some cases, the top rails are embellished with some sort of arch or "wave," but as long as you make the bottom of that rail horizontal, that doesn't change the construction. 

You'll need to decide on door height and how many rails (no more than three or four probably) and pleasing widths for the rails and stiles. Then, what to use for panels - could be louvres, vertical slats, flat panel, flat panel with decorative cutouts, or raised panel. You could also mix things up - e.g., vertical slats up top and a solid panel below. If you do a raised panel, you probably want it to look the same from both sides (unlike a typical kitchen cabinet door).

I'd guess you don't want the rails and stiles any thinner than a typical kitchen cabinet door, but probably a bit thinner than an interior passage door.

It might be important to settle on the hinges you want to use before finalizing decisions about the width and the thickness of the doors.

On 7/16/2023 at 2:51 PM, G Ragatz said:

I think the real issue is what you/your daughter want the doors to look like. Construction-wise, most of the saloon doors I see online look like just basic rail-and-stile doors. In some cases, the top rails are embellished with some sort of arch or "wave," but as long as you make the bottom of that rail horizontal, that doesn't change the construction. 

You'll need to decide on door height and how many rails (no more than three or four probably) and pleasing widths for the rails and stiles. Then, what to use for panels - could be louvres, vertical slats, flat panel, flat panel with decorative cutouts, or raised panel. You could also mix things up - e.g., vertical slats up top and a solid panel below. If you do a raised panel, you probably want it to look the same from both sides (unlike a typical kitchen cabinet door).

I'd guess you don't want the rails and stiles any thinner than a typical kitchen cabinet door, but probably a bit thinner than an interior passage door.

It might be important to settle on the hinges you want to use before finalizing decisions about the width and the thickness of the doors.

Thanks for the suggestions.  My daughter wants the top rail to be about 6" wide with a "wave".  I'm going to use full 1" thick oak for the rails/stiles and make them 1 1/2" wide.  The interior louvers will be horizontal.  I found double swing hinges online for $25 - $35 for a set of four.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 3:04 PM, tlpmap said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  My daughter wants the top rail to be about 6" wide with a "wave".  I'm going to use full 1" thick oak for the rails/stiles and make them 1 1/2" wide.  The interior louvers will be horizontal.  I found double swing hinges online for $25 - $35 for a set of four.

Correction:  The top rail is 6” high with a “wave”, not 6” wide