link belts for table saw

jimmykx250

I have seen these link belts around for a while now and im wondering if anyone has any reviews on them? I have a nice 1-1/2 hp craftsman ts with a zero clearence insert and when i shut the saw down you can hear the blade skip along the insert plate~ but not when it's at full speed. I think thes would help if they do what they say they will. Thanks, Jim

• Like 1

Jim, I have a great source for link belts. It beats the pants off any other source around. Here is the link, http://www.agrisales-inc.com/

To navigate to the right place, click on Electric motors in the left hand column, you'll get a drop down menu, click on V-belts and Sheaves, next menu, click on Link Belts and you are there. For my Sears saw, I bought 4' of the 21/32" (5L) link belt. Great stuff, almost completely eliminated my V-belt vibration.

Couple the belt with machined pulleys form here, http://www.in-lineindustries.com/ and your saw will run like a champion.

• Like 1

I have seen these link belts around for a while now and im wondering if anyone has any reviews on them? I have a nice 1-1/2 hp craftsman ts with a zero clearence insert and when i shut the saw down you can hear the blade skip along the insert plate~ but not when it's at full speed. I think thes would help if they do what they say they will. Thanks, Jim

+1 on the in-line industries pulleys with the belt. I had a craftsman 1.5hp saw and I installed the pulleys and link-belt on them. I liked that saw so much I still dont know why I sold it. It truly ran like a dream, but I came across a Powermatic PM2000 for $750 that I just couldn't pass up. I had the real link-belt from Rockler, but I noticed this the other day....

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

5 feet for half of what I paid for 4!

• Like 1

+1 on the in-line industries pulleys with the belt. I had a craftsman 1.5hp saw and I installed the pulleys and link-belt on them. I liked that saw so much I still dont know why I sold it. It truly ran like a dream, but I came across a Powermatic PM2000 for $750 that I just couldn't pass up. I had the real link-belt from Rockler, but I noticed this the other day....

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

5 feet for half of what I paid for 4!

Thanks for the info!

I have a vintage 50's era craftsman table saw, and I first started using it with it's stock belt and pulley. After swapping out the motor pulley for a cast iron replacement, and the belt for the link belt from HF mentioned earlier, I found that the saw ran much smoother. That clipping you're hearing as the saw slows down could indicate runout on your arbor. My saw does exactly the same thing, and I found it has a touch of runout. Nothing too terrible, but noticeable as the saw slows down. Hope this helped!

• 3 months later...

It's worth noting that link belts work well, and are a nice improvement over a defective low quality stock belt that's out of round, but they're not a panacea, and are not without downsides themselves. High quality rubber cog belts will also work very smoothly, and can be fairly affordable. Link belts wear faster than most high quality rubber belts, and have more wind noise because they're less aerodynamic. If there's not a problem with the current belt, any improvement from a link belt will be minimal.