Wide Face Grain Glue Ups

TomInNC

On 8/16/2023 at 3:15 PM, Wimayo said:

Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere above, but why does it have to be 1.5" thick all the way across? As wtnhighlander said, just do a "waterfall" edge on exposed edges. Not that difficult. If you need a little extra height just because of the height of the cabinet below, add some battens at the under side mounting points.

This white oak desk top was made with 4/4 and "waterfall" edges:

small.jpg

Why can’t he have what he wants?

I’ve worked for paying customers for almost 40 years. There are basically three kinds of customers. #1. Open to suggestions, #2.. closed to suggestions and  #3 cant satisfy no matter how hard you try..

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 8:29 PM, TomInNC said:

Well, I'm definitely open to suggestions. My thinking with the 1.5" top is that it would be more stable. Since I haven't done waterfalls to make tops appear thicker, there's also less for me to screw up. 

I’d like to know what a “waterfall” is in this situation?

When you are applying a second thickness on a counter top, bar top it is called “Beef up” or “Beefing up” the top. Or “A Wrap”

Waterfall is used+on “Live edge”

Are they suggestion “ Waterfall” on your top?

IMG_1190.jpeg

On 8/16/2023 at 8:29 PM, TomInNC said:

Well, I'm definitely open to suggestions. My thinking with the 1.5" top is that it would be more stable. Since I haven't done waterfalls to make tops appear thicker, there's also less for me to screw up. 

You would be better drive 5 hours round trip for the correct wood. 

On 8/17/2023 at 9:36 AM, BillyJack said:

I’d be more than glad to hear how this Waterfall is suppose to work on a 3/4 top to make it 1 1/2 +

Conceptually, it is quite easy. You start by cutting a 1 1/2" strip off of the edge of your work piece at a 45 deg angle. Then you carefully re-cut your off cut at a opposite 45 deg so that it can be glued back where you originally cut it from but at a downward 90 deg angle with the grain bending down and matching. It gets a bit more tedious if you are doing it on two adjoining edges, but is is doable (see my photo above). Of course, it doesn't make the whole top 1 1/2" thick. That's the idea, it looks thick without having all of that material and weight and cost.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:03 PM, Wimayo said:

Conceptually, it is quite easy. You start by cutting a 1 1/2" strip off of the edge of your work piece at a 45 deg angle. Then you carefully re-cut your off cut at a opposite 45 deg so that it can be glued back where you originally cut it from but at a downward 90 deg angle with the grain bending down and matching. It gets a bit more tedious if you are doing it on two adjoining edges, but is is doable (see my photo above). Of course, it doesn't make the whole top 1 1/2" thick. That's the idea, it looks thick without having all of that material and weight and cost.

You’re talking a whole lot of complicated cuts to get the desired look. you mess up one and the size is toast. 

#1….Does he want to do all that work versus driving  to get the correct lumber

#2..Does he have a slider or track saw to cut those 45 degree angles?

Here is my problem with the internet… it all sounds good when it’s printed  up, but is it realistic?

On 8/17/2023 at 5:24 PM, BillyJack said:

You’re talking a whole lot of complicated cuts to get the desired look. you mess up one and the size is toast. 

#1….Does he want to do all that work versus driving  to get the correct lumber

#2..Does he have a slider or track saw to cut those 45 degree angles?

Here is my problem with the internet… it all sounds good when it’s printed  up, but is it realistic?

The question as to whether it is worth the trip or if he wants the challenge is for him to answer for himself. All we are here for is to offer suggestions and alternatives.

For what it is worth to you, the desk I posted above has waterfall edges on all four sides that were cut with a hand held circular saw guided by a straight edge. Not as difficult as you make it seem. For me, it was definitely worth it to get the look I wanted. I had extra wood on hand. So, that was not a consideration. The OP may (or may not) have different goals.

• Like 1

“What Is a Waterfall Edge? A waterfall edge is a design that makes a 90 degree angle at the end of the countertop. Rather than simply ending with a finished edge, the countertop turns toward the floor and continues down the side of the cabinet, island, or seating area.”

I know what a waterfall edge is. I also know the difficulty in making those fees if you don’t have the tooling or the know how…I’ve seen and made many that went to the floor along with some failures.

I believe I have shown a picture of a waterfall failure on here before..

personally I wouldn’t waste my time on a new top, but if it was an existing slab I wanted to salvage, that’s a different story.

We just call it “wrap”..