Seeking advice on mitered edging of table top

Von

On 8/27/2023 at 11:38 PM, G Ragatz said:

I'm fortunate that I can still see a marking knife line as well as a pencil line (most of the time). Given that, why would I ever choose to use a pencil instead of a marking knife?

• the pencil line is always going to be wider and so, less precise than the knife line, as a visual guide for my cutting/milling
  • the knife line gives me a physical indexing point if I need it when I'm working with a hand saw or a chisel
  • the knife line does help with tear-out, even if you're using the "right blade"
  • I don't need to sharpen my marking knives nearly as often as I need to sharpen my pencils

I almost always use a pencil, but I'm very particular about the pencil.  A no.4 Eagle Mirado/Mikado will leave a line as fine as any marking knife.  They stopped making them in the mid 1980's, but I have accumulated more than a lifetime supply.  I only use a knife if there will be a tearout problem.

My problem with a marking knife is in situations like marking the second part of a dovetail where you need to leave the line.  It's harder to leave a scribed line than a pencil line.

On 8/28/2023 at 10:10 AM, Tpt life said:

I don’t find sleds to be any use at most table sizes. This was a question about an edge. This is more about taking the tool to the work for most tables, without a commercial set up. I think this is how we have been coming to different approaches. 

You’re on a hobby forum and a lot of hobby woodworker chose a miter sled. Many do not trust or know how to setup a miter saw. I didn’t have a miter sled till just a month or so ago and don’t need it, but to remove some material I decided to make one. ..

I was a commercial woodworker for 29 year. What is a commercial setup?

I tried to get Jakobe furniture to look into this , but was ignored.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fletcher-terry.com%2Fframe-joining-material-cutting-products-1%2Famp-t400-double-mitre-saw&psig=AOvVaw2Oc42OmujMx2AbKdjn_nZe&ust=1693324044130000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CA8QjhxqFwoTCIDnnOjZ_4ADFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

On 8/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, Tpt life said:

Commercial setup:

For an edge miter, and sliding table would work awesomely well. Most of those are in shops that use them to make full incomes. 

For a production shop we will all probably use a miter saw, but this is a professional/hobby forum and you’re going to get a variety of answers depending on how they feel it fits their needs. 

I have 10+ poster frames to make for my rec room. Normally I would use the miter saw, but because I now have the slider for the table saw, I’ll use it.

Much easier 3 sided. But sometimes it is required on all sides.  I would start on 1 long leg. But first I would cut 2 short pieces with a 45 on 1 end. Then clamp them on the exact position, and nibble away on the long leg. My cuts are on a sliding jig on the table saw. I'd want the work near the saw. I get the size close, then cutting a tiny amount then see if it fits. And do the same on the remaining pieces. You cant cut it twice and it is still too short!

Cutting out the plywood I would make an effort to be as true and square as I possible. The better I cut the plywood, the faster and better is the outcome. I have an incra 5000 and that is what I would use here. Very accurate.

All - I greatly appreciate the insights. I am indeed a hobbyist and am immensely enjoy learning from all of you. And because I'm a hobbyist, I will sometimes take paths that are of most interest to me rather than being most efficient or effective, so please don't take any disrespect if I don't seem to follow your advice. I don't intend my path to improvement to be a straight line and will chase shiny objects or squirrels from time to time. Again, thank you. Von

• Like 1