Laguna JX/8 ShearTec II Jointer

roughsawn

Going to order the Laguna.

Grizzly will not deliver because of the size. I need a forklift to unload it. Obviously I don't have a forklift.

I'll probably order from Acme, have it delivered to their warehouse in Plymouth, and have them load it on my trailer. I can then lift it off with my overhead hoist.

Grizzly has not been very accommodating.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:49 AM, Chestnut said:

That's really odd that grizzly can't coordinate a freight truck with a lift gate.

Agreed. Grizzly customer service is typically regarded well. It’s usually a problem with the freight companies ignoring instructions/requests rather than with the vendor working with the customer. 

I'm surprised grizzly didn't offer you loading doc service where you pic it up at a warehouse. I did that a couple times years ago. Having said that Acme is top notch and has earned my repeat business many times over the years. I am currently waiting on my upgraded lathe purchase which they knocked $200 off during a sale 6 weeks after I purchased but before it was delivered :) 

• Like 1

4 different customer service reps told me that even tho the delivery truck might have a lift gate, they wouldn't use it because of the size of the crate. It has to be delivered to a business with a loading dock, and unloaded with a forklift. They kept telling me...it is their policy. It has to be unloaded with a forklift.

Burnsville is the closest dealer. And they don't have one, they'd have to order it. That's 75? miles away. Just as soon not drive thru or around Murderapolis to go pick one up.

When I bought my Laguna bandsaw from Acme last year, I just drove to their warehouse and picked it up. The last time I asked them about the jointer, they said it would work the same way. 

39 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Was the Grizzly a particularly large jointer? 

No i checked the model and it's a pretty standard sized 8" jointer. Bit smaller than the PJ882HH.

I wonder if the freight carriers have gotten sick of all the absurd requests upon delivery so they just started saying no to Grizzly. At 487lbs it's pretty light. This is going to hurt grizzly as if they can't deliver tools like this to people's homes it's going to cut into sales. That delivery and their customer service were their main selling points.

Oh that's silly the 0858 is too big and heavy for lift gate but THIS sop fox at pretty much the same size and weight isn't.

• Like 1

Ya, their reply was always, no so much the weight, but the size of the crate.

I told them if they can't deliver to a residence, advertise to commercial businesses only. No one has a forklift just sitting around in their garage.

I really had my heart set on that model. Been researching it for a year. Set up videos saved, and all that good stuff. And yes, I've had 3 other pieces of Grizzly equipment delivered here in the last 3 years. If something has changed, I don't know. But if they are going to make it that hard for the consumer to purchase, then they will lose business.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting update! Laguna can't give anyone a delivery date. Neither retailers or me. 4 months is a good guess. Sounds like they wait until they have "X" number of orders, then they tell the guys in Taiwan to make them, then ship them here, then get them out for delivery. They don't keep any in stock. Is that B.S., or what???

I called Laguna several times during business hours, and can't get anyone on the line...just a recording. I left voicemails, and nothing. I sent 2 emails 3 days ago, and have not gotten a response. Unreal.

Back to the Grizzly. I talked to a new customer support person, and she seemed ok. I have lined up a business that a friend is a big shot at, and got the green light to have one delivered there...fork lift, loading dock, and all. Grizzly has 200 units in stock.

Now, after giving all the info the the cust serv rep 3 days ago (via email), if I could just get her to respond...I could get it ordered and on it's way.:wacko:

Does anyone really care about the customer anymore? This deal really has me scratching my head. Maybe I should just put some new knives in my 6" benchtop, and get to work...

I am dealing with the same issue on my new lathe but since I have a lathe. I new going in this was the situation so not really to worried but definitely agree its a bit much for sure. Good luck with the jointer looks to be a nice unit if you can actually get your hands on one.

That would be a lot of sucking up. The G0858 is 1/2 of that right now.

I will just call a different rep today, and order from him/her. Guess one really isn't different from the other. Or, maybe I should just run down to Springfield (MO) and pick one up, myself. They charge $290 for freight, anyway. That's about what my fuel would cost. Minus a hotel room.:o

5 minutes ago, roughsawn said:

That would be a lot of sucking up. The G0858 is 1/2 of that right now.

I will just call a different rep today, and order from him/her. Guess one really isn't different from the other. Or, maybe I should just run down to Springfield (MO) and pick one up, myself. They charge $290 for freight, anyway. That's about what my fuel would cost. Minus a hotel room.:o

Yeah i hear ya, i can't make your financial decisions and I get the difficulty. Paying for daycare my discretionary spending is pretty much zero now.

That said I have yet to regret spending the extra money on top end machines, though my sample size is super small and very limited so it's probably best to ignore my advice. I'd really love to work with some Grizzly machines in person some day to be able to compare them. I think Grizzly machines are good but the customer service and delivery hurdles seem like utter BS.