Should I jump on this Jet drum sander? w/ pic

I’ve had this sander for several years and use it on almost all of my projects and really like it. Changing the paper is a little cantankerous at first but with their little tool, it becomes easier with time. I would take you a 6” or so board and try it out, I run mine thru with 1/4 turn graduations. A dust collection system is a must. If both motors work and there is no obvious problems then yes, grab it! 

• Like 1

I've had someone else point out the conveyor belt was once attached where you see the open screw holes on the left.  And as I can't see any evidence of a conveyor belt sticking out anywhere, I'm thinking it's gone and that wood with the parallel marks on it is the feed platform.  You can see fitment blocks attached underneath.  Listing says it's 5 days old.  Oh well, I think I'll save my money for something better down the line. 

On 9/8/2023 at 10:48 PM, bradleyheathhays said:

Any thoughts on this one? 

Again, given that the Jet is missing the conveyor system, I'd pass too.  I have enough projects ;-)  If you have the time you could potentially make some money parting it out.  As to the Ryobi . . . If you search the forums you will find many, many, many threads about the woes of drum sanders.  Even today, with a few exceptions, there are complaints about conveyor belt tracking and drive mechanism breakdowns, abrasive changing problems, alignment issues, re-alignment issues, etc.

The tool is not a problem in itself.  It is just that, like a lot of drill presses,  manufacturers have found that they just don't have to make them all that well to sell them.  This is why the Supermax 19-38 made such a stir when it came out . . . .er, mid-2000's(???).  The point is that you want to really research the particular drum sander you are looking at (which is what you are doing here, kudos). Many are the bane of their owner's existence as they go out of alignment, eat abrasives, or perform other frustrating tricks no matter how much attention they receive.

Having one will change your life in the shop.  You just want to be sure that change is positive :rolleyes:

• Like 1