Length of a Tenon

Coop

On 10/3/2023 at 10:49 AM, Ronn W said:

Interesting question,  I think that you are asking - at what length of tenon is there no point in making the tendon longer?  

Correct.

I understand that the longer the length, the more wood to glue surface and the harder it will be to pull the joint straight apart. I’m wondering at what point does the length no longer play a part in the shear and tensile strength? 

On 10/3/2023 at 10:28 PM, Coop said:

I’m wondering at what point does the length no longer play a part in the shear and tensile strength? 

I would guess that strictly from a joint-strength perspective, longer is always better right up until you have a through-tenon, at which point a longer tenon doesn't add any gluing surface (not considering the strength of a wedged tenon here).

That said, I've always understood the rule of thumb to be a tenon length of 1/2 - 2/3 the width of the stock - a leg or stile - being mortised. But that may be overkill, depending on the application. Certainly, plenty of well-made rail-and-stile cabinet doors have much shorter tenons - not that much shear pressure to deal with. But on a bed frame, it might be a different story (see comment from @Chet above).

• Like 2

I get the  1/2 to 1/3 rule but it also doesn't make sense. If you have a 9" rail the shorter tenon would be 3" which is longer than needed Also who has a 3" long bit to cut said tenon?. Going to cut it by hand? On the other side a 1"x1" divider would only get a 0.33-0.5" tenon which isn't long enough. Now i can hear people thinking "but those are extremes most parts are 2.5-3.5" wide!" I agree and given the typical part size you'd see a 1"-1.75" long tenon. I'd shoot for that range regardless of part size. After 1.5" the wood around the tenon is most likely weekend enough that the mortise board would split or break.

For a bed I'd go as long as you have a bit to cut the mortise.

• Like 2