Using a holesaw without centre drill

Greetings

I'd like to make easy to build wooden toys and I watch this maker a lot but I could never work out how they make a round wheel without drilling a hole right through the centre. 

Scrolling this video and stopping at the 1:29 shows the morse hole saws that are used but none of them seem to have the centre drill for locating, is it ok to use hole saws like this or will it wander all over the place

Agreed and also use two fences one in back and one on one side to help keep it tight. Also go in and out a fair amount to clear the chips. BTW he is using a center bit for some of them you can see the center holes on the wheels and at 1:24 you can see he is using a drill press and has the center bit in.

Yeah, if you watch the operation carefully in the video there is a center bit, but it is shorter than the teeth so it doesn't blow through the far side. Still would only consider this operation in a drillpress with well-clamped material.

If I were doing this I think I'd look for a large plug- or tenon-cutter rather than modifying a holesaw first.

• Like 1