I Need Some Advice

A friend asked me to build a table that he found on the internet for his chessboard. I agreed to build it sight unseen. When I downloaded the photo I realized that I may be in over-my-head.
  The base and table top is pretty straightforward. The casing for the table is the problem (see photo). The corners are rounded and I’m trying to decide how to do this? 
  I’m considering assembling the casing using mitered joints, dovetailing the upper and lower drawer blades, then rounding the corners using a bandsaw? Does this make sense; any better ideas..??

IMG_8611.jpeg

I don't see any joint lines, so my guess is a veneer is involved. 

You idea should work, but the corner radius implies a fairly thick stock, or filler blocks inside the corners.

Personally, I'd voice my concerns about the construction techniques, and ask if your friend is willing to accept some visible joint lines, or a slight design modification, if you can't do veneer.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 11:45 AM, wtnhighlander said:

ask if your friend is willing to accept some visible joint lines, or a slight design modification, if you can't do veneer.

I don’t think that joint lines are an issue. I’m considering using butt joints reinforced with dowels and internal gussets. I’m thinking that this would place the joint line a little more to the side making it less conspicuous. Any thoughts about this plan..?

• Like 1

The internal gusset should allow you to cut away a lot of the corner without sacrificing strength. A butt joint corner will reveal some end grain, which will be a distinct change of tone and texture at the joint. My personal preference would be to miter the corner and add the gusset, then cut the radius. The grain transition would be even around the corner that way.

• Like 1

"I agreed to build it sight unseen. When I downloaded the photo I realized that I may be in over-my-head."

--Hammer5573

I find it is best never to say "I'll build it" sight unseen or without an actual hands-on inspection of what is to done or wanted.

Since you are having some doubts, walk away. I have learned the hard way at times to the warnings/concerns from the Little Voice in my head.

From the photo, the top is clearly mitred, but it's hard to see what's happening on the edges. I'd mitre the edges too, so the joint line and change towards end grain from rounding the corner match on both the edge of the top, the sides, and the lower moulding.

When cutting the side pieces, start at one side of the drawer, and use the same board all the way round to the other side of the drawer so that the grain runs continuously round the joint line at all four corners.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:13 PM, Ronn W said:

The detail that concerns me is what appears to be a change in the surface of the apron (a ripple) that aligns with the ripple in the edge of the top.  

The “ripple” is there and has caused me a lot of consternation. I’ve included the ripple in the template that I’ll use to mill the piece. I’m currently making a mockup out of scrap lumber to determine if it’s feasible to do the milling with a bandsaw. I considered using veneer, minus the ripple; however, I thought that I would need to steam bend it to make the contours and don’t think that I would have enough open  time to clamp it up. Your thoughts..?

PS: this has become a personal challenge and I don’t want to modify it if I don’t have to

• Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 12:53 PM, Hammer5573 said:

Your thoughts..?

OK.  I would consider using commercial veneer that is 1/42" thick. no problem with the corner radius if you make a curve caul from cutoff piece at each corner.  The "proud part fo each side bewtween the ripples could be made using the same veneer for the exposed surface but back it up with 2 more layers of veneer.  That would be approx 1/16" thick.  Or just use a 1/16" piece of matching lumber as backup.  I enjoy playing with veneer.

@Ronn W is very experienced with veneer, but in the clearer photo that @William R posted, you can clearly see the miter joint line on the upper frame. This makes me think the case is mitered as well. I believe your idea about cutting the "ripple" at the bandsaw is a perfectly valid method for making the case from solid stock. 

Given the quality of MY bandsaw (and my skill using it!), I would probably glue up the mitered case first, then cut the radius of the ripple transition as a groove across each board, using a straightedge and a round-nose router bit. Then saw from the corner into the radius groove with a guide fence to keep it all straight. If I tried to saw out the transition, there is no doubt it would be crooked!

On 1/22/2024 at 8:50 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I would probably glue up the mitered case first, then cut the radius of the ripple transition as a groove across each board, using a straightedge and a round-nose router bit. Then saw from the corner into the radius groove with a guide fence to keep it all straight. If I tried to saw out the transition, there is no doubt it would be crooked!

You’ve definitely got me thinking..!

• Like 1