Sapele Music Cabinet

h3nry

On 3/31/2024 at 8:01 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Looking great, @h3nry! Did you modify the scraper yourself, or is that commercially available?

The scraper came from Lee Valley ... I'm getting good use out of my curved scrapers on this project.

12 hours ago, h3nry said:

My only complaint is that the blade sometimes twists in the body when it's only done up finger tight,

I see the shaft of the blade is round.  I wonder if a drop of Loctite (thread locker) might be enough to hold the shaft when finger tight?  Not sure how you would periodically clean the residue on the shaft though?

I am lovin' this thread.  My router plane also has a square shaft that locks into a diamond shaped hole.  I am reminded of the older Delta 14" bandsaws that had a hex shaft for the upper guides.  Newer saws use round stock to their devaluation IMHO.

On 4/5/2024 at 9:16 AM, Mark J said:

I see the shaft of the blade is round.  I wonder if a drop of Loctite (thread locker) might be enough to hold the shaft when finger tight?  Not sure how you would periodically clean the residue on the shaft though?

I don't think that would work ... it cuts to depth one shaving at a time ... it can be a fairly thick shaving, but still just a shaving ... so even for a 3/16 deep groove like this, it has to be adjusted maybe a dozen times getting progressively deeper.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, h3nry said:

Perhaps I should add the cock-beading first, then cut the dovetails ... I'll have to think about that for the main drawers.

Certainly seems like you should at least trim/cut the drawer fronts to accept the cock bead before chiseling out the pins.